CHANGING A HDD

Max 6495 06:04 31 Oct 09

I am currently running Vista on a Laptop and have an 80GB HDD (SATA, I think)

But I'd like to replace it for something higher up, as it's not enough storage space for me.

How would I go about it?

People have reccomended Norton Ghost to me before. Should I use this, or should I connect the new drive up with cables?

(no boot discs either)
Max

howard64 06:44 31 Oct 09

a good external drive for all your data is a good idea for backup as well. These normally connect via usb and would allow you to have very little on your laptop. The disadvantage being that it is something extra to carry around if you take your laptop away from your normal place.

Max 6495 06:50 31 Oct 09

Hi Howard64,

I have a 1TB External Drive to store all My stuff on, but my laptop hdd is full to the brim with software, and reguarly required files etc, and I don't want a seperate one constantly connected, unfortunately.

gengiscant 07:37 31 Oct 09

What make/model is your laptop? but apart from that,you could buy a new drive then clone your existing hdd to the new one then swap them over in your laptop.
Ghost will do it but I have no experience of it ,I use Acronis true image.

Max 6495 08:04 31 Oct 09

Hi Gengiscant,
I have an Acer Aspire 5310, and I believe the drive is a Hitachi 80GB SATA 2.5"

Can you exaplin a little more,
will 'cloning' be the easiest option?

Yes, that is what I'm planning to do, is to swap everything over to the new hdd.

gengiscant 08:39 31 Oct 09

Have you already got ghost? if so here are the instuctions.
click here

Or if you need a free imageing program this will do the job.
click here

Max 6495 08:43 31 Oct 09

Okay,
I shall have a look at it.

What will happen once I insert the blank HDD (new) into the Laptops SATA Compartment?

How will I access anything, if there isn't an operating system installed onto it?

gengiscant 08:45 31 Oct 09

You should have copied everything over before you insert it into you laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac