Changing Hard Drives and moving data

kuhbler 11:43 08 Oct 03

Hi there,

Currently I have a 40gb drive (c:) and a 60 gb drive (d:)

I'm running out of space on both of these so am going to buy a 120gb to replace the 40gb drive.

The ideal set up would be (c:) 60 gb (d:) 120gb.

What is the best way of copying the data from the current drives onto the new set up.

Ideally I don't want to have to burn a mountain of cds (55gb is a lot of cds!). Is there a way I can install the 120gb and copy everything onto it before removing the 40gb (ie to have 3 HDD working at once)?

Then the last question is, if I do an image of my current c: drive, then copy it onto the new c: once i have swapped everything around, will it work ok, or am I better off doing a full re-install?

Running WinXP Pro, MSI K7T266 Pro 2 MoBo click here , 512mb DDR PC2100, DVD-ROM, CD/RW, MSI GeForce 4 TI4600.

hugh-265156 12:39 08 Oct 03

an image will be the easiest way to do this i think.

i use click here(got mine free from a mag)and its very easy to use and resonably quick.runs in windows so no need to reboot etc.you can image straight to the other hard disk or compress it to cdrs.

alternativly try click here

stlucia 12:50 08 Oct 03

Seems a shame to throw away a 40Gb HDD. You can add an IDE card to allow you to install more drives (assuming you still have empty bays to put them in). click here

pj123 13:03 08 Oct 03

Because there are three hard disks involved this is a complicated manouevre and would be quite difficult to explain in any detail. Basically the easiest way would be to partition the 120gb into two 60gb and then use something like xxcopy to clone the 40gb to one partition and the 60gb to the other partition. Then re-format the 60gb and clone the 40gb to that. Then install the 60gb as master and the 120gb as a slave. Am I talking sense here??

Southernboy 13:47 08 Oct 03

go for an external HD?

kuhbler 19:09 08 Oct 03

Yeah, I'm going to play with Imaging I think. I think I'll try and install the drive as a 2nd Master, partition and format it, then copy everything I want to keep onto it, then reformat the 60gb. Image the 40 gb onto it then remove the 40gb, swap the jumpers, add my cd-rw back in and hope to hell it all works when I reboot! I may back everything up anyway just to be sure. Don't want to loose all the stuff I have on the current 60gb drive.

External HDDs are still too expensive and I don't have Firewire or USB2 at the moment. A 120gb drive is only about 80 quid.

y_not 20:41 08 Oct 03

If you plan to format the new drive be sure that you are formatting the right drive - I often format with a win98 FDD - always check the directory of the drive I'm going to format because the boot FDD moves drive letters up when it loads.

Hope this makes sense - just don't want anyone to format data by mistake - I've come too close too often myself

Good luck

Tony

pj123 14:01 09 Oct 03

To make sure you don't format the wrong drive install only the new 120gb as master. Disconnect the other two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…