Changing Hard Drives

Allan RISC OS user 15:39 25 Mar 10

I have a PC which had windows XP Home installed from new, I have now installed Windows 7 using an OEM version, whilst I cannot upgrade the computer, but have been offered a second hand one with the extra RAM which I require.
Can I remove the hard drive from my original machine which has the Windows 7 installed and put this in the "new" machine as its C drive?
The hard drive is not the original, it is the second replacement in my PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 25 Mar 10

"Can I remove the hard drive from my original machine which has the Windows 7 installed and put this in the "new" machine as its C drive?"

It probably won't boot as all the drivers will be wrong.

Nothing to stop you fitting the drive to the new machine , boot from W7 DVD delete the old partition and reinstall windows. However you may need to reactivate if this is a full retail disk then MS will allow you to do that.

Allan RISC OS user 12:02 26 Mar 10

Thanks for your reply Fruit Bat, but as I have the OEM version installed on the Hard Drive will I be able to run it on the "new" machine, as I am moving the Drive which was purchased at the same time as the Windows 7?

ame 12:17 26 Mar 10

Surely you are breaking the terms of the OEM licence? Do you not need to be using the same motherboard?

Allan RISC OS user 12:52 26 Mar 10

ame, I do not know, tha'st why I asked, so it would seem that I would need to purchase another copy of the OS.

ame 14:51 26 Mar 10

I think so - legally speaking, of course. Unless someone contradicts what I have said, I do not really think you should pursue this thread any further, as nobody on here should be encouraging you to break the terms of the OEM licence....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…