Changing hard drive

buckeye 09:59 06 Sep 05

I will be changing my hard drive and as i have a desktop with no space for more than one hard drive it means that it will be one out one in.What's the best way ,if any ,to save the stuff on my present disc and transfer it after the swop??. I'm running XP Pro.

mattyc_92 10:01 06 Sep 05

Use something like "Acronis True Image" from click here

Most Hard-Disks come with software to "clone" your older drive to the newer one.

johnnyrocker 10:05 06 Sep 05

why not use an external caddy usb connected and transfer or whatever you wish.

johnny.

buckeye 10:09 06 Sep 05

The new hard drive is an Hitachi...no disc...still wrapped in its silver paper..aah.

quack 10:30 06 Sep 05

Load OS on to the new hard drive and then slave the old Hard disk to the new one. You should then be able to see both HDDs and be able to copy the data you wish to transfer from one to the other. Failing that. If you have a CD/RW in the computer make a disk of the data you are saving and transfer it that way.

ventanas 11:02 06 Sep 05

He can't load it as a slave as there is no available tray. I would do as johnnyrocker suggests and buy an external caddy click here They are cheap and easy to connect (I have three and never throw away an old drive)

quack 22:09 06 Sep 05

He can hang the new hard drive from the IDE lead. It doesn't have to be fitted into the case for this purpose.

lotvic 22:26 06 Sep 05

"He can hang the new hard drive from the IDE lead. It doesn't have to be fitted into the case for this purpose. "

ran one of mine like this for 18 months with no problems I just put the antistatic bag under slave drive and had it sat on a piece of plywood. No case on pc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:26 06 Sep 05

Hard Disk Back UP:-
XXCopy click here

woodchip 22:29 06 Sep 05

You may be able to Connect the Drive with the Cover off as slave if you use a longer ribbon cable and have a spare power plug for the drive. just to copy your files over

ventanas 08:26 07 Sep 05

Yes I know it can be hung from the cable, but a caddy is a bit more versatile. The drive can be used again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…