//some 3rd party need geo

Changing Hard Drive

Toy 22:35 24 May 05

Hiya,

I have been advised to change my Hard Drive. Can anyone tell me how I can transfer all my information e.g Operating System and updated Drivers etc to my new drive or is that not possible? I have only ever opened a Computer once to instal a CD Re-writer so no doubt this will be fun!

Chees

vinnyT 13:36 25 May 05

Normally the maker of the hd you buy has software that will help you migrate from the old hd to the new one (eg Maxtor has Maxblast).

If you buy the hd as a retail unit it may have the software included in the box, along with srews, etc (no real benefit, in my opinion). If you buy OEM (this works out cheaper), you will have to download from the website.

Hope this helps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 25 May 05

Do you need to change the drive or just add another because the first is getting full?

If replace then

1. fit new HDD as a slave / set bios for new drive as primary slave

2. format and partition the drive. opsystem (same sie as our old drive) /data/ music.

3. clone your old drive to the opsytem partition on the new drive.

4. remove old drive

5. swap jumper on new drive to master / reset bios for new drive as primary master

All your old programs will work exactly as before.

Fit 2nd HDD
click here
click here

Hard Disk Back UP:-
XXCopy click here

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here

SEASHANTY 16:04 25 May 05

If you buy a Maxtor drive you can clone everything from within windows without shutting windows down - just download the MAXBLAST 4 FOR WINDOWS utility to your desktop from the Maxtor website
click here Note that this program will only work with a Maxtor drive but your original drive can be any other make.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…