Changing graphics card from integrated.

yuffy 21:31 21 Oct 03

Hi hope somone can help me.
I'm changing my graphics card which is presently an Nvidia geforce4 mx integrated, the PC is, if its any help a shuttle SN41.
My question is:
Will i need to disable the present card in the bios, uninstall the drivers & use the VGA, then insert new card.
Or will the new card just need to be inserted into the agp slot & install the drivers as normal, with the system board disabling the integrated card.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 21:53 21 Oct 03

I would uninstall drivers then shut down insert other card then on restart go in to bios disable onboard graffix save/exit then let it boot and it should find other card and ask for drivers.

Regards.

steven_frost 21:54 21 Oct 03

what you can do is install the card while the pc is off connect the moniter and boot up go in to the bios and disable the onboard one then svae the setting and boot up as normal

madPentium 21:55 21 Oct 03

If there is a facility in the bios to disable the onboard vga, you should do this to remove any possible conflicts.
The proper sequence would be.....
Go into windows and change the display adaptor to be 'standard vga' and then shut down.
Install the new card, go into bios and disable onboard vga. Save settings and exit.
In windows use the new cards setup cd.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 21:57 21 Oct 03

its a good job e1 agrees lol

woodchip 22:00 21 Oct 03

This can be a whole lot of trouble as I have yet to come across onboard graphics that can be disabled. I no sound can, but graphics as some thing about it that they do not seem to support the shut down of. So you mite just have to put the graphics card in and load the drivers for it. connect your monitor to the new card port, it cannot go through the board if it's connected to the card. See what happens if you have problems come back hear

woodchip 22:00 21 Oct 03

PS you can disable the old card after in Device Manager

LastChip 22:08 21 Oct 03

The safest way, is to reset your graphics driver, to the standard Windows VGA driver, before you do anything else.

Now, shut the machine down, boot into the BIOS, and disable the on board graphics chipset. If necessary, make sure your AGP slot is enabled.

Now shut down again, fit your card, bootup and allow your hardware to be recognized. Load the appropriate drivers.

I don't know if I have the correct computer here, but if I have, there could be some fitting problems, and potentially some cooling problems with your proposal. Maybe you would like to take a look click here and consider your options!

yuffy 08:09 23 Oct 03

Many thnaks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…