Changing File Names

GuZ><0r 19:34 01 Jan 06

When I try and change a file name I get the following mesage;

"If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable"

But if I type what type opf file it is (e.g. jpg) I can change the name. But before I was able to change the name without having to say which type of file it was.

How can I get it do do this again, because it is getting annoying having to type in the file format everytime.

Thanks

phil 19:45 01 Jan 06

I take it you're trying to do this within Windows XP and before you were able to do this in 98 or ME.

If so it's because XP will not allow you to change system files and file names without a warning. Basically it's there for your own good and to stop you crashing/corrupting your system.

Seems petty but it works. No doubt someone knows a workaround.

GuZ><0r 19:56 01 Jan 06

Sorry, I was talking about XP pro. I do seem to remember being able to change the file names tho, without having to type for example .jpg after it, and it did it automatically, as in the computer knew what format the file was, on XP.

VoG II 20:02 01 Jan 06

In Windows Explorer, Tools|Folder Options, View tab. Untick Hide extensions for known file types.

GuZ><0r 20:05 01 Jan 06

It is already unticked.

GuZ><0r 20:15 01 Jan 06

YAY, I ticked the box and now it is all back to normal. Thanks VoG™, for guiding me in the right direction

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced