Changing file icons

tallboy 09:01 16 Apr 07

For a while, I used Star Office for word processing. I have now installed MS Office 2007 Home & Student edition and have set the Star Office docs to open with MS Word.

However, I'd like to change the 'Star' icons to Word icons, since after opening and updating the docs, I save them as Word docs.

Is there a way to do this? The MS help site gives directions to change the icon of Short Cuts, but not individual files.

Any ideas most welcome.

Tallboy

ArrGee 16:48 16 Apr 07

Click on the 'Star' files (you can select as many as you wish, then do a right-click on one of them.

You will then be presented with an option to 'Open with' and choose application. Choose Word and all the icons should change to Word.

tallboy 18:45 16 Apr 07

Thanks ArrGee. Alas, whilst right-clicking and selecting 'Open With' does make the file open up with MS Word, it doesn't change the icon to a Word document icon.

Anyone any other suggestions?

moorie- 18:54 16 Apr 07

if you go into explorer, tools,folder options,select file types,select the file type you want to change,click on advanced and change icon(may have to browse)

tallboy 22:26 27 Apr 07

Thanks Moorie. I can see that this should work, but when I get to the change icon bit, I'm only 'presented' with a selection of different Star Office icons to choose from.

Where can I find the Microsoft Word icon? I assume it's tucked away in the MS Word program somewhere - but where?

setecio 16:27 28 Apr 07

As ArrGee says except also tick the box 'always open with this ... '

moorie- 18:53 28 Apr 07

when you get to the change icon stage
next to the star options there is a browse button click on that and that will bring up other program icons select the one you want and select always open with

tallboy 22:30 30 Apr 07

Thanks for the info setecio & moorie-

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5