Changing a file extension.

Daibus 16:40 21 Dec 06

How do you change the extension of a file from xpi to zip?

Cheers.

Gongoozler 16:54 21 Dec 06

Hi Daibus. Simply changing the file extension will do nothing to the file. The only way to generate a zip file is to use a program such as Winzip. An XPI file is a Cross Platform Installable File for Mozilla. Changing the extension will probably stop the program working because the Mozilla program will probably not recognise it.

bremner 16:56 21 Dec 06

I think with this type of file you can simply use rename to change the extension.

xpi is a Mozilla zip file which is exactly the same as a zip.

Gongoozler 17:03 21 Dec 06

... and if Bremner is right, just right click on the file, select "Rename" and change the extension, ignore any warning about the file not working of you change the extension. If you cant see the extension then in Windows Explorer select Tools - Folder Options - View. Untick "Hide extensions for known file types"

Gongoozler 17:11 21 Dec 06

I now have to agree with Bremner. After a bit of investigation I've learned that an XPI file is in fact a ZIP file. If you want to edit an XPI file, you can change the extension as I described, unzip it with WINZIP, WINRAR or some other suitable program, edit the appropriate component and then rezip it using the same program as was used for the unzipping process. Then rename it to change the extension back to XPI so that Firefox or whatever will recognise it as an installer file.

Daibus 17:31 21 Dec 06

Many thanks for your replies.

Have done as suggested - edited a component from within the zip file and then managed to install again into the add-on Spoofstick which will now function with Firefox version 2.0.0.1.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…