changing file extension

kaz_lovin_mike 20:44 18 Dec 05

i have uploaded a video off my mobile onto my computer, and the file extension was missing. I then accidently changed it to .JPEG instead of .MPEg and now I don't know how to make it a video file, as it won't open as anything, or in any program.

LastChip 21:30 18 Dec 05

Windows is normally set to hide common file extensions. You need to check if this is the case.

Open Windows Explorer and select Tools; Folder Options; and under the View tab, look for "Hide file extensions for known file types". If the box is ticked, de-select it and check your file again. You will probably find it has a double extension (the original and the one you gave it). If so, right click the file, select Rename and remove your extension. Alternatively, if it genuinely doesn't have an extension, now is the time to type one in (a full stop immediately followed by the extension.

For example;

myfile.jpeg

Forum Editor 23:47 18 Dec 05

for me to highlight the dangers inherent in changing file extensions. If you inadvertantly use the wrong extension Windows doesn't know what to do with the content, and you end up with an unuseable file.

kaz_lovin_mike 16:17 19 Dec 05

i knew this already, but on uploading my photots from my mobile to my computer, the fiole extension was actually missing anyway, and I did not know the file extension for videos. It was a silly mistake, I just needed to know how to change it.

Skills 17:16 19 Dec 05

All the videos ive recived from mobile phones have been a .3gp file which quicktime will open.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…