Changing E drive to C again...

nick_j007 00:50 13 Aug 04

Hi all.

Installed a new HDD to my laptop on XP home today, and it has given the new drive the letter E instead of the C I'm used to.

When going the admin route and right clicking on the E drive it won't allow me to change it.

Any ideas ?

Thank you

Nick

powerless 00:58 13 Aug 04

You cannot change the boot partition drive letter [well you can but it involves a reg change and is risky].

As you've just installed XP, I would reformat and start all over.

nick_j007 01:05 13 Aug 04

Thanks Powerless.

Would the last entry on this thread help me at all?

click here

Regards.

nick_j007 15:46 13 Aug 04

Well,

A whole reinstallation seems such a a pain! Especially after downloading ALL of 2 1/2 yrs. worth of updates and SP1 again.

I have d'loaded tweakUI as per my link above but all I can see to do is allow or prevent the letters; not change them (am I missing something?)

So, if the only way to change my letters is to reinstall I shall accept the fact.

This then raises two q's in my mind.

1) Can I save all the updates on to a disc, then reload them quick and easy once reinstalled?

2) Where, and at what point do I assign the drive letters please?

Thank you :-)

Nick

nick_j007 18:04 13 Aug 04

polite bump

cga 18:38 13 Aug 04

I think the thing we need to look at here is why it has allocated the drive as E: in the first place. This would not normally happen.

I am more of a base systems person myself so forgive my limitations on lapto knowledge but some questions:

1) XP home was installed and running from C: before you installed the new HD - right?

2) Is this new HD a 2nd or a replacement? (Can u have 2 hard drives in a laptop?)

3) If it was a replacement then what process did you use?

4) In disk management is the active partition the first on the disk and is it also the boot partition?

flying grouse 18:51 13 Aug 04

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you right click on "My computer" an click on Manager and go to Disk Management then Right Click on the mentioned Drive it gives you the option to change Drive letter and Drive Path.............

VoG II 18:55 13 Aug 04

click here but "Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in."

cga 18:55 13 Aug 04

Yes - but not the system partition.

VoG II 18:59 13 Aug 04

click here - this can work with XP but can make your 'puter unbootable.

At your own risk....

flying grouse 19:02 13 Aug 04

didn't read the post fully! oops....True you are not allowed to change Primary Drive letter.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…