Changing drive letters on XP clean re-install

dynamikel 17:11 08 Nov 03

I also set my CD Rom drive as drive letter Z, and when I did a clean re-install of Home XP it has changed to G. I can't seem to find out how to assign a new letter. In Disk Management my CD is not visible. I did this on my last installation of XP - can anyone tell me how to do it please?

spikeychris 17:47 08 Nov 03
  Djohn 17:48 08 Nov 03

That's strange it doesn't show in Management, because this is where you will normally change the letters from.. Does it show up in your "My Computer" ?

dynamikel 18:28 09 Nov 03

Thanks for replying - no the CD Writer Drive and DVD/CD Drive show up as drives in My Computer, but there's no Changing Drive Letters in either Disk Management or My Computer, although all the partitions for the Hard Disk do have the facility when I right click on them.

I may have to try another clean re-install to get them.

dynamikel 18:29 09 Nov 03

Thanks for the link but I tried all that. The problem is that I cannot seem to get XP to let me change the drive letters on the CD Writer (internal) and DVD/CD drive.

spikeychris 18:39 09 Nov 03

1. Open Command Prompt.

2. Type:

3. At the DISKPART prompt, type:

spikeychris 18:47 09 Nov 03

If that fails the do this..

Type diskpart

Then type "List Volume" and hit enter

Your CDROM should be "0" so type "Select Volume 0" and hit enter again.

Type "Assign letter=Z" and hit enter

spikeychris 18:51 09 Nov 03

Just to be safe: How many CD-ROM's do you have? if you have two then The second CD-ROM will be listed as volume 1.

If there was no CD-ROM, then the hard disk drive C will be listed as volume 0

leo49 19:33 09 Nov 03

On the right? Don't you mean in the bottom half on the left?

You are clicking on the optical drive icons and not the blank bar, aren't you?

dynamikel 17:51 10 Nov 03

Okay everyone - many thanks. I've done it. ??t? amd leo49 were right - I was missing the drives in the window - stupid once I saw it.

spikeychris - your replies were brilliant and really helpful. I'm keeping them in case I have trouble in the future.

Thanks to everyone.

spikeychris 19:13 10 Nov 03

Maximize..... ;o)

Glad your sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…