Changing Drive Letters & Names

dublincity 04:38 12 Jun 05

I've got XP Pro running well on one partition and have just installed XP Pro again on a different partition. The OS's give different letters & names for the various drives. The only drive whose letter I changed was the external but I changed the names just by using the 'rename' facility. My aim was to have the same descriptions whichever OS I was using.

The labelling's gone haywire with letters & names all over the shop. I don't think that pathways have changed and everything seems to be working so I hope there's no problem. Any ideas about how I can standardise the labelling? Many Thanks.

dublincity 06:37 12 Jun 05

I've now managed to get the names and letters (C, D, E) of the 3 partitions on the HD the same on both OS's. Good.

The external drive that was previously lettered the same now has different letters and WON'T allow me to make them the same.

The Floppy drive remains A on both OS's.

When I tried to standardise the CD-ROM & CD-R/W drives, I just created icons with '?' in red (on one OS only) for, presumably, fictitious drives. I've had them before and they stick around forever!

VoG II 08:08 12 Jun 05
  dublincity 08:40 12 Jun 05

Thanks for the link. I aloso found some more given in earlier postings on the subject. I'll need to digest all the info

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…