Changing from dialup modem to router/modem

andynewbould 09:25 14 Jan 09

Appologies if this is a really draft question that I'm asking but I'm far from a PC expert.

I have broadband (Tesco, but I don't think that's relevant) via dial up. So I have a small modem that dials up my connection when I want and stays connected until I disconnect.

I want to stay permanantly connected to the internet via a modem/router. My friend has one of those netgear ones (DG834PN) and his connecttion is always active. I went out to buy one, plugged it all in, made sure all my internet details were correct and hey presto I have the light showing the router sees my broadband. Yet every time I click on my web browser it won't connect to any website.....as if I don't have a broadband connection.

Is this something to do with the fact that I have dial up broadband. Do I have to change to a different type to use a modem/router?

Thanks

Technotiger 09:31 14 Jan 09

click here

Plus you will need a Broadband account with your chosen ISP.

Technotiger 09:34 14 Jan 09
  tullie 09:48 14 Jan 09

As stated,you need a broadband account,not dial up,which is not broadband.

baldydave 10:21 14 Jan 09

Hi,
I think there is a bit of confusion,am i right in thinking you "dial up" by clicking a connect now on your desktop,and you have a usb speedtouch or equivilent modem with 2 lights on it and it plugs in a usb port on your pc,if so you have broadband.
If your phone cable plugs directly into the back of your pc into a card you have dial up.
If you have broadband connect the router via ethernet cable to your pc,go to start/control panel/network connections and make sure it shows a local area connection,if disabled right click and enable this connection,now try and connect to the internet,if no local area connection is found go to control panel/system/hardware /device manager and make sure under network card you have a card displayed and it enabled.

baldydave 10:21 14 Jan 09

Hi,
I think there is a bit of confusion,am i right in thinking you "dial up" by clicking a connect now on your desktop,and you have a usb speedtouch or equivilent modem with 2 lights on it and it plugs in a usb port on your pc,if so you have broadband.
If your phone cable plugs directly into the back of your pc into a card you have dial up.
If you have broadband connect the router via ethernet cable to your pc,go to start/control panel/network connections and make sure it shows a local area connection,if disabled right click and enable this connection,now try and connect to the internet,if no local area connection is found go to control panel/system/hardware /device manager and make sure under network card you have a card displayed and it enabled.

andynewbould 10:24 14 Jan 09

Hi,

- Exactly right, thanks Dave

isca2 10:26 14 Jan 09

As Tullie states, Broadband or Dial up ? You do not "dial up " broadband connections. You need to let us know exactly what you have.

Technotiger 10:49 14 Jan 09

Dial-up is most definitely NOT Broadband!

Eric10 10:52 14 Jan 09

Depending on IE settings, some USB Broadband Modems do bring up a "dialup box" for the first connection after booting up so this is probably what makes Andy call it dialup.

Do you mean that you have gone into the router's setup page (192.168.0.1) and entered your broadband username and password in the appropriate areas?

When using a router you should open Internet Explorer and go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, and select "Never dial a connection".

If you still haven't got a result then on the same tab you could try clicking the Setup button to run the Wizard. Choose "Connect to the Internet" Next "Set up my connection manually" Next "Connect using a broadband connection that is always on" Next, Finish.

You could also try connecting with your firewall turned off just in case that is blocking something although this is unlikely since you have been connecting ok with your modem.

Technotiger 10:57 14 Jan 09

A Broadband account has to be activated by BT or whoever your phone provider is! If this is news to you, then you do not have Broadband. ADSL Broadband is more expensive than Dial-up.

Another way to tell is, if you have ADSL Filters on your telephone line connection indoors? Again if this is news to you, then you do not have Broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now