Changing Computer Name in ME

Taff36 13:53 22 Sep 05

I want to do just that. The computer has the name of it`s previous owner and I want to get rid of it before I donate it to a worthy cause. Where should I look? I`ve a nasty feeling I set it up that way too!

VoG II 13:58 22 Sep 05
  Taff36 15:15 22 Sep 05

Will that one work in ME? (Suppose it would give me the reg key and I could do it manually - what do you think?)

Taff36 15:57 22 Sep 05

Sorted it in the registry. Searched for the name of the previous owner and changed the reg values to the make of machine. Thanks VoG.

pj123 16:11 22 Sep 05

Don't know whether this will work or not but if Me registry works the same as Win98SE try this:

Go to
Start, Run, type in regedit and OK.

Navigate down to:

HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version.

In the right hand window scroll down to Registered User, right click it and select Modify, Delete or Rename. (your choice).

Once done OK your way back out.

pj123 16:12 22 Sep 05

Sorry, too late.

Taff36 20:52 22 Sep 05

Thanks anyway. I just did a search (CTRl + F key) for the name and inspected every entry until I found the one relating to the machine name. Changed it - but I had to exit regedit and then reboot before it appeared correctly in Belarc. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…