Changing Cd to DVD Drive

tighmor 18:11 28 Oct 05

I have a DVD Read only drive and a CD R/W drive and want to change the DVD drive to a DVD R-W.
Probably will get LG GSA-4163B or Plextor PX-740A

Would it be a matter of simply disconnecting and reconnecting?

PaulB2005 18:18 28 Oct 05

Yup.

Might have to go into the BIOS and redetect the drives but that;s pretty much it apart from installing the software.

spuds 18:24 28 Oct 05

Should be ok, but you may need to install new drivers. If you are using XP then that might install drivers for you.You will also require DVD burning software.If burning software is supplied with the new replacement, check that it is not a 'lite' version.If it is a lite version, then you may require something better.

PaulB2005 18:33 28 Oct 05

"Lite" software will do - else it would be pointless shipping it with the product.

No CD / DVD Drive needs any drivers if the OS is Windows 98SE or later.

paclady350 18:52 28 Oct 05

I have recently changed my CD Read only drive for a LG GSA 4163BA DVD R/W. First off I uninstalled the CD Drive, then swapped the hardware. When I restarted my computer XP did the rest. No probs. and I'm a 55 year old Grandma!!!!

spuds 18:54 28 Oct 05

"Lite" software is exactly that "Lite", a trial version without all the trimmings.Hence my suggestion that something better may be required, depending on what is wanted.Some Freeware and Shareware can be just as good if not better than a "Lite" version.Also some "Lite" versions require registration or payment to open up the trimmings. Pays to have a open mind on this fact.

ray27 18:55 28 Oct 05

I have just replaced my CD RW drive and my DVD read only drive with two DVD RW drives, one is a Freecom and the other is a Sony
Windows XP recognised them without any problems

PaulB2005 19:05 28 Oct 05

"a trial version without all the trimmings"

Lite is not a trial version. It might not have all the bells and whistles of the full £40 retail version but it will do the basics and without a restriction. Sometimes you get demo or shareware version but rarely. The software that came with every CD and DVD drive i have installed has always worked fine and done exactly what i needed. The only exception was the DVD software on this PC where i upgraded to the full retail package as the bundled version only supported 2 speaker stereo and i wanted 5 speaker surround sound.

freaky 19:31 28 Oct 05

I replaced the CD Rom drive on my older computer, with the LG GSA-4163B. There was no problem installing it, and it worked OK without needing any new drivers.

I tested the LG DVD RW with the Nero 6 Drive Test, the results were spectacular, much better than the results achieved on my new PC which has a Sony DVD RW !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…