Changing Broadband ISP's

Jim Suter 13:51 20 Feb 04

How easy/costly is it to change your broadband ISP? I am not locked into a contract so can I just change my ISP or do I have to pay the setup fee again? After all my phone line has already been ADSL enabled.

JIM 14:14 20 Feb 04

click here

who!you have in mind will decide.

MichelleC 15:06 20 Feb 04

I've used Pipex, Plusnet and datanet - now I use Metronet
click here Now I pay £14 pm instead of £28.

BTW It's a good name for a site Jim - sounds like my teenage son.

JIM 15:26 20 Feb 04

and again :)

Djohn 16:02 20 Feb 04

Yes, you will need to pay an activation fee again with the new ISP, [Some are waiving this at the moment]. Although your line is enabled, it is to your present ISP and a BT engineer will need to swap over the connections at the exchange to your new ISP. It's BT that charges the activation fee even though you pay through your ISP.

The cheapest and easiest way is to "Migrate" your service, this way the BT engineer can disconnect and re-connect you on the same visit. You will only be off-line for 10-15 minutes if you do it this way. If you cancel your present ISP then contact a new one, you may be off-line for up to two weeks waiting for the disconnect/re-connect etc.

Don't cancel your present ISP. Choose your new one and ask them if they will migrate you from your current one to themselves. They will give you all the information required. j.

renpub 00:58 21 Feb 04

I noticed this forum thread in our webstats and can never resist peeking when people are talking about our site. We've also recently added a dedicated broadband comparison table, it's not comprehensive but it covers the mainstream suppliers. Use tip about migration, will bear that in mind when we swap our broadband away from BT when our contract is up :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…