Changing broadband isp problem

PARIS/FALLS/04 14:51 19 Aug 04

Hi Im in my sisters house and she has just got her new broadband from bt the bt voyager 105. Her previous provider was telewest and the problem we are having is she cant get the computer to install the new bt broadband.

can you tell us how we proceed do we have to remove the telewest before we try to install the bt broadband as i have tried to install the bt on a few times and when we get to the point where its looking for a specific file and when i show it the path to the file the computer crashes BT of course are saying we have something wrong with the computer and it would be best to format the hard drive but my sister thinks this is a bit extreme and wants to avoid that.
If you need any more info from me i will be happy to supply it.

Magik ®© 15:07 19 Aug 04

one step at a time..have you tried running SFC, go to "run" type in "sfc" and see what it comes up with, when you click details, when it has finshed..

PARIS/FALLS/04 15:43 19 Aug 04

REGTLIB.EXE
extract.exe
extract.exe
hh.exe
ieuninst.exe
icwscrpt.exe
regsvr32.exe
mstinit.exe
updcrl.exe
sage.exe
mobsync.exe
fixmapi.exe
unam4ie.exe
mstask.exe
asycfilt.dll
inet16.dll
itircl.dll
jgdw400.dll
jgpl400.dll
jgsh400.dll
jsproxy.dll
msr2c.dll
msr2cenu.dll
w95inf16.dll
w95inf32.dll
RSAENH.DLL
MSXML3A.DLL
mscrlrev.dll
webcheck.dll
msidle.dll
wininet.dll
shdocvw.dll
shlwapi.dll
browseui.dll
urlmon.dll
enhsig.dll
sens.dll
mstask.dll
sage.dll
cdfview.dll
mobsync.dll
hwinv.dll
senscfg.dll
inv16.dll
MSHTML.DLL
esenu.dll
licmgr10.dll
pngfilt.dll
inetcfg.dll
t2embed.dll
msidntld.dll
acctres.dll
mapistub.dll
igaw400.dll
jgmd400.dll
jgsd400.dll
isign32.dll
icwdial.dll
icwphbk.dll
icfg95.dll
vidx16.dll
dxmasf.dll
asfsipc.dll
strmdll.dll
msdxmlc.dll
sensapi.dll
all these files were changed and i updated verification on them.

PARIS/FALLS/04 15:52 19 Aug 04

just tried again to put on the broadband and its still not working.I hope i did the right thing in sfc by updation verification.

PARIS/FALLS/04 16:03 19 Aug 04

I have to go home now so will check to see if any replies when i get in and i will let my sister know if there is any other suggestions to try.

Thanks

Diemmess 16:12 19 Aug 04

I deplore that BT answer. I thought nobody asked for that any more, it seems a sign of bleak despair............... A format and long winded rebuild would give you (and BT,) a clean sheet to play with, but that is surely "chucking baby out with the bathwater"

I am not clear whether the Telewest connection is dial-up or Broadband? If it is a dialup then merely disconnecting the line connection to the old modem should be enough.

If it was broadband then I would make as much effort I could to uninstall every trace of the old broadband first.

The Aol BB package I installed just a week or two back insisted that the software was installed including the BT Voyger 105's own,... and installed with everything connected, except for the USB lead between computer and modem.

Then when the USB lead is plugged in, the computer should recognise it at once. (Well it did that for me!)

PARIS/FALLS/04 08:55 20 Aug 04

Diemmess the telewest is broadband and i did think i had all of it out but still no joy with the bt voyager.

If you can take me through what i have to do to get everything of telewest out just to make sure i have done it right then i will proceed with the BT.My sisters cut off date for telewest is the 28th but she would like the issue resolved before she has to return the telewest modem back to them.
I would like to mention before she had the telewest she did have a dial up and the modem is still fitted in the pc as well but i disabled it so nothing could got looking for it.I hope i did the right thing there should i have opened the pc and took out the modem or does this not matter.

When we plugged in the usb lead as you said the pc did recognise it at once but it got to a certain point and was looking for a file and when i showed it the path it crashed the computer should i be addressing this matter as i really only have a little knowledge about computers and i am out of ideas.So if there is any more from the forum they will be greatfully received. I wil be going back to my sisters this afternoon to have another go so some suggestions before then would be great.

Thanks paris/falls/04

Magik ®© 09:45 20 Aug 04

This file it is looking for, could it be broken, or in other words, can you download a new one from where ever, or say what the file is and we can look....cos we dont seem to be getting anywhere :-(

PARIS/FALLS/04 10:57 20 Aug 04

i will let you know the name of the file when i am at my sisters this afternoon. I have the same broadband here on my pc so i was thinking of taking mine round along with my instalation cd to see if its the software or the modem so i can eliminate that.Any more suggestions would be good.

Diemmess 13:38 20 Aug 04

What follows is guesswork.

I still feel that after crashes and stubbon failures like you have experienced, then you should try and clear all traces of BT And Telewest and start the BT installation with as clean a sheet as you can make. Special uninstaller software, and even the potentially lethal registry tinkering can all have a part, but only if you are confident to be doing this.

I hesitate to offer further advice because my only experience is Aol......... Their procedure, which may not be correct for BT, is to load the drivers first with the USB modem cable not connected..........Then connect the modem, and (surprisingly to me) load the Internet software last of all.

You haven't said which o/s you are running, that might be crucial, though the SPs do try to make their product universal.

If your own modem and that of your sister are identical, then it would be worth taking your modem with you and simply substituting hers into yours, to see if yours then won't work either!!

PARIS/FALLS/04 14:09 25 Aug 04

Sorry about the delay in coming back in im back at my sisters now and here is what i have. when trying to load the bt broadband basic software i get to instalation point and an error comes up saying
Cant get registry value key= software\globespanvirata\adsl value=driver type
after not getting it to install the software i tried this way

i plug in the bt voyager 105 pc detects it and says to put in the software its looking for a file
so i show it a path to the file its looking for the file is called GWAUSB.CAT and then everything goes wrong and the pc crashes. i have the same bt voyager at home and i was thinking it was mabey a problem with the software so i tried my software in and it has made no difference.
the computer is running windows 98se

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…