Changing boot disk

sebtiger 16:24 08 Jun 06

I got my new hard drive today and wanted to copy my old disk to my new one and boot up from it, taking the old one out completely. How would I go about this?

The Kestrel 17:21 08 Jun 06

Have a look at this link click here it may help yopu copy your hard drive.

exodus 21:31 08 Jun 06

Hi, if you visit the web site of your new hdd manufacturer, they probably off a free utility program that will clone the contents of the old drive onto the new one, including the operating system.

For instance, Maxtor offer MaxBlast for this facility.

sebtiger 02:09 10 Jun 06

I have installed and followed the instruction that are on Maxlast, however I do not have any jumper settings and I also do not know if I have to edit anyting in the bios screen.

The Hard Drive is the Maxtor 6V250F0

johndrew 11:15 10 Jun 06

I think your drive is SATA and needs no jumpers. I presume you are running XP.

If you have sucessfully copied the drive over the easiest way to boot from it is to press F8 during the boot and when the available drives for booting are shown simply select your drive.

When you are booted into Windows you may see a message for you to confirm that the drive you booted from is to be your master boot drive. Confirm this and this drive will be your master.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…