Changing AVG free for Avira free

mart7 17:31 31 May 15
Answered

Have changed this week from avg free to avira free,was getting entirely fed up of messages about "try avg tune up" etc etc

Avira seems ok and the pc boots up faster

Any avira users had any problems and whats the avira "safe browser",ive not enabled as yet

bumpkin 18:27 31 May 15

My personal choice is Avast but not a lot between them.

john bunyan 18:42 31 May 15

I had Avira on one PC and Avast on another. I have now standardised on Avast. My grandchildren were on AVG and have also switched to Avast. I think it is marginally quicker than Avira, which I found a bit slow to update on starting. I recall a small problem with safe browsing - regret cannot recall what it was!

mart7 20:04 31 May 15

Thanks for comments

I had tried Avast sometime last year,maybe its improved but there were too many false positives popping up all the time

rdave13 21:06 31 May 15

mart7 , if you get Avira to update as quick as the others then use it. I found the interface and updating (especially the program update) very lacking and at times problematic. Just use the correct tools with AVG and Avast to remove completely then try Avira. No uninstaller tool for Avira if I remember correctly? Just programs and features, which is a bit odd.

Not getting any false positives on Avast 2015.10.2.2218 so far. Much improved lately. Even their Online Security seems to work quite well.

mart7 21:55 31 May 15

Have to say the definition updates slow and the scanning interminably slow,might try avast

rdave13 22:04 31 May 15

Just make sure you get rid of all previous antivirus' first. Search for their own removal tools. Run Ccleaner's reg cleaner after a reboot.

mart7 22:16 31 May 15

I read somewhere only to use the avg removal tool if avg cant successfully be uninstalled the usual way,there's been problems removing the program using avgs own uninstaller,it uninstalled ok and I ran ccleaners reg cleaner

rdave13 22:35 31 May 15

I would run it anyway. click here

mart7 11:16 01 Jun 15

Rdave13 I had already removed avg successfully and run ccleaner reg cleaner,ive now removed avira,scans too slow,I used revo uninstaller but it crashed halfway through removing avira,ran it again n seemed successful,ran ccleaner reg cleaner,rebooted all ok,installed avast free did a quick scan seems ok,ran the browser scan and it stalled,had to physically reboot the pc All seems fine now but am wishing id not removed AVG after all these problems,the old saying springs to mind "if it ain't broke dont fix it "

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:32 01 Jun 15

Have Avast on all my devices now, two PCs one laptop and one tablet.

Had AVG on laptop (came installed) but got too bloated and slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced