Changing from aol dial-up to broadband. Problems?

Chris the Ancient 12:59 03 Mar 08

My father (who is getting on in years) has been on aol dial up for many years. He has revealed to me - whilst I was visiting him this weekend - that he has organised a broadband connection with a uk ISP - and he did this some six months ago! However, no hardware appeared!

So, I chatted to the ISP this weekend and, bless them, assured me his connection is still live and that they will despatch another set of start-up goodies this week to his address.

Now, to the point of my posting (at last)...

I seem to remember, in the past, that there were all sorts of horror stories in getting rid of aol from the depths of the computer when changing ISPs.

Is this the case?

Anything I should watch out for?

And then when I go up to see him next, I can perform a smooth transition, not muck up his computer and look like a genius. ;-))

CtA

Sea Urchin 13:22 03 Mar 08

It should be less of a problem getting rid of Dial Up than Broadband - basically he can stop using it. But there are stories, as you say. Don't want to worry you, but view this segement on YouTube

click here

dogbreath1 13:26 03 Mar 08

click here

This free grog is designed to remove every last trace of the insidious AOL. It was last updated March 2005, so I can't be certain whether it is still up to date as regards changes which may have been made to AOL.

I'd still run a registry cleaner after the uninstall.

click here is a particularly good one.

Hopefully your new install will go ahead without a hiccough!

dogbreath1 13:27 03 Mar 08

For grog read prog!

carmichy 13:32 03 Mar 08

Not meaning to steal a thread dogbreath but I personally prefer the Grog

Chris the Ancient 15:46 03 Mar 08

Many thanks for that link!

I shall take the 'grog' - well pehaps prog - (like carmichy, I like grog as well!) and run that when I get up there and got his b/b running.

I shall also take up a copy of Regseeker and regcleaner (my personal favourites - but because I've been using them for so long) and see what is what. Needless to say, I shall set a good restore point before I do anything!!!

Sea Urchin...

I thought that link was absolutely brilliant. Makes me think of a time that a bloke was trying to sell me a timeshare while I was on holiday. It took me several repetitions of "which part of the word 'no!' are you having difficulties with" before he gave up.

CtA

Sea Urchin 17:15 03 Mar 08

Let's hope that you have a problem-free changeover - sure you will.

Chris the Ancient 18:30 03 Mar 08

Fingers (and lots of other bits!) crossed.

Clouds of smoke and loud screams over SW London on the day will be me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now