Changes to website

sugarbabe 10:39 03 Mar 08

Hi i am trying to make changes to the text on the following website:

click here

I have tried using contribute, dreamwever and frontpage to edit text but each one when i open up pages to change, bits of text are missing, links are missing and photos.

Found that using Frontpage shows most of the website apart from the links bar just below title.

How can i upload the changes without losing the link bars any ideas??

MAJ 10:54 03 Mar 08

Did you create the site?
In what way are you trying to do this exactly?

sugarbabe 10:56 03 Mar 08

i didn't create the site. i have downloaded site using smartftp. now editing the pages using frontpage, basically updating text adding few links.
Once finished will uploaded using frontpage.

If there is an easier way please let me know

MAJ 11:59 03 Mar 08

Try making a backup of all the files you have downloaded, save them to a new folder on your desktop. Then edit the text on the first page, don't change anything else, then upload that edited page (without changing it's name). You should be asked if you want to replace the existing file, choose yes. When it has been uploaded, refresh the site by opening the page and holding down the CTRL key while pressing the F5 button. See if your changes appear. If anything goes wrong you can re-upload the backed up file.

Kemistri 12:17 03 Mar 08

Why do you need all that software to change some text content? Make a backup locally and then edit the files straight off the server via SmartFTP, which can open a temp copy in your preferred text/HTML editor and automatically upload the changed version.

sugarbabe 13:36 03 Mar 08

Hi Kemistri, that is basically what i am trying to do. what text/html editor would you suggest, is frontpage ok??

Kemistri 14:00 03 Mar 08

There's an option in SmartFTP to pick whatever text editor you like to use and the file will open in that when you double-click it or right-click it. The option is found from Tools > Settings > General and is listed as "File viewer".

I use Notepad++ (from Sourceforge) and I really recommend that, but Notepad is good enough for a quick edit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…