changeing hard drives

bigjohn1943 10:48 03 Sep 06

help how do i convert my programs and software from my old hard drive to my new hard drive john

johndrew 10:53 03 Sep 06

What do you mean `convert`?

What are you trying to achieve? Is it a case of transfering everything from one drive to another? If so why not use software like Acronis True Image click here to clone the disk. You can then make the new drive master and reformat the original if you want to.

bigjohn1943 11:10 03 Sep 06

hi ya thanks for the info i was told it could not be done but i was wondering to make it easer as iam a bit thick if i could buy a usb external hard drive put old hard drive back in down load all i want onto usb hard drive and then take out old hard drive replace new hard drive with new xp pro on and then down load the stuff on usb drive to new hard drive best regards john

bigjohn1943 11:32 03 Sep 06

hi ya john thanks for you help i was told it could not be done i was wondering to make it easer as i am a bit thick if i could buy a usb external hard drive put old hard drive back in side and download what i want to uasb hard drive and then take out old hard drive and replace new one and then down load from usb drive to new one is this ok and what to do best regards john

DieSse 12:00 03 Sep 06

If you buy a Seagate drive, you can download software (Seagate Disk Wizard) - and it's free - which does exactly what you want to do. It also has good instructions about how to do it.

Using a USB caddy is an unnecessary step, and doesn't even make things simpler.

The only caution when going inside your system to change drives, move cables, etc - SWITCH OFF THE MAINS supply - simply powering down the system as per normal is not enough. That's not for your protection (it's not dangerous for you inside the tower) - it's to protect the parts inside the system.

What actually takes place is -

You fit the new drive inside the system, in addition to the old drive, as a second drive.

The Disk Wizard software transfers everything across to the new drive.

You make the new drive the main drive - and bingo the system all works with the new drive.

johndrew 12:30 03 Sep 06

Good idea and cheaper too. You should have added that the old drive can be left in place as a second drive for extra space - after formatting.

The only downside could be the lack of future backup software if it`s wanted. I know a lot of people rely on the Windows features to cover any potential loss risk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…