Changed router settings - LT now unable to connect

theblackrat 22:58 03 Jan 08

I have a desktop running windows XP and my son has a Toshiba LT running Windows Vista. I have an EchoLife HG520s ADSL wireless router supplied by TalkTalk. I have set up the network Ok and my son's LT and Sony PS3 are able to connect with no problem. However, I changed the router SSID via the '192.168.x.x' web page from the one supplied by TalkTalk to one of my own. I changed nothing else. Afterwards, my son's LT was unable to connect to the internet. The LT found the router SSID but asked for a WEP key. He input the original WEP key but this didn't work. I changed the router SSID back again and he was able to connect. I want to upgrade the security to WPA but am afraid if I do, the LT and PS3 will no longer be able to connect wirelessly to the internet. Any help on what I need to do to ensure all devices work after I have made changes to the router settings?

ambra4 11:53 04 Jan 08

Set up the security code in the router save the information to a flash drive

Go to the wireless device connect flash drive delete the wireless profile in the wireless device

Reconnect the wireless device to the router copy and paste the SSID name and security code from the flash drive when requested

theblackrat 23:13 04 Jan 08

Thanks but will this method also apply if I change from WEP to WPA, change the SSID and hide the SSID. I hid the SSID and again my son's LT was unable to find the router until I changed back again. Can I change each setting one at a time or can I change them all at once and then copy all the new settings across to a flash drive. By the way, how do I save the router settings onto a flash drive? As you can probably tell I am a bit new to this wireless networking stuff. Thanks again.

Kemistri 23:21 04 Jan 08

Why hide the SSID? It achieves nothing except to prevent WZC from working properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…