changed modem on p.c. and lost all sound.

tosh60 15:09 16 Aug 03

Hi I need to know what i've not done.I changed my modem as it was'nt connecting to net.My system is packard bell i,connect 800mz.pent 3. I set up the modem ok,but lost all sound.Will I NEED TO BUY A NEW SOUND CARD?Thanks. anthony.

wheelie 15:23 16 Aug 03

I had this problem a few weeks ago. I tried everything to fix it with no luck.

In the end, I defragmented the disk and the sound suddenly returned. Try doing that first. Failing that, it might be an IRQ conflict which may be a bit more complicated to sort out, but someone else can help you with that one.

Philip2 15:28 16 Aug 03

I don't think putting a modem in would affect your sound card uninstall the card and reinstall
the drivers or check your leads are connected first and your card is not loose.

woodchip 15:29 16 Aug 03

Right click My Computer/Properties/Device Manager look for coloured marks

tosh60 15:46 16 Aug 03

Hi phillip2 & woodchip.Thanks for your help it's much appreachated.I'll do as you both advised.I forgot to add the sound icon at the bottomright of toolbar has disapeared.could this shed anymore light on the problem?thank again.Anthony

bof:) 17:14 16 Aug 03

Hi tosh60

have a look here, found it in the 'search' on this site about sound speaker icon disappearing from task bar

click here

Mike

woodchip 17:38 16 Aug 03

You will only get the speaker when the soun works

tosh60 17:40 16 Aug 03

Thanks Bof.Wheelie,phillip2.&woodchip.The sound's now back up & running!!!It seemed to be a problem with the settings inthe sound,video&game controller,&Intel ac97 audiocontroller.]sigma tel codec.Thanks a lot chaps.anthony.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…