changed icons

Healer13 21:10 29 Nov 03

It's me again!
The icons on my desk top have suddenly changed to being spiral note pads instead of the normal programme ones. I've tried system restore to no avail. I've tried changing them via the desk top properties. The original icons are visible behind the new ones. Even if I try to create a new shortcut, it appears on the desk top as spiral note pad.

VoG II 21:15 29 Nov 03

Which version of Windows?

Do the icons work?

If you have the relevant TweakUI powertoy for your system you could try the repair option therein, it will rollback any customisations you hae made to the icons as well but you can always redo them.

dfghjkl 21:27 29 Nov 03

mine does this also,i am using xp pro,i find if i go on site then delete from favorites,delete from desktop then put it back in favorites,then back on desktop then when you reboot you should get them back,there is probably an easier way and i am sure we will find out soon if there is.i tend to lose my icons if i have been messing around with graphics settings,or wallpaper.

VoG II 21:30 29 Nov 03

Asuming it is XP get TweakUI from click here

You want the 147 KB one at the bottom of the page.

Healer13 09:17 30 Nov 03

I'm using Windows ME. The icons all work. When I boot up, for a split second the correct icons appear and are then hidden by the spiral note pad.

Healer13 09:24 30 Nov 03

My docs, My computer, My network, Recycle bin, IE explorer and any new folders I put on the desk top are OK, it seems like it's all the short cuts that are affected.

Healer13 12:05 30 Nov 03

The icon that is over-laying the shortcut icons is 'Cascade style sheet document'.
I've tried MS Help, which suggested I go into folder options then MS-DOS Prompt and type in:-
del shelliconcache. I did this and I got the message unable to find.
I'm now lost as to what to do next.

muppetmark 12:18 30 Nov 03

do you still have the problem in safe mode.
Have you had a look in msconfig ?

Healer13 14:17 30 Nov 03

All icons appear OK in Safe Mode and having re-booted from SM the desk top has returned to normal.

Thanks for the help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…