Change from wireless WPA to WEP

Dalglish2 20:57 03 Oct 08

Hi
My IT dept has advised that if I wish to use my laptop on my wireless home network, I need to have WEP encryption - I currently have WPA which to me seems more secure.
2 questions .. is there a real security risk with WEP and secondly, how do I create a 26 character password that I can remember as you cannot copy and paste from my Netgear D834G router?
Many thanks
Sam

sinbads 21:08 03 Oct 08

wep is less secure simply deselect WPA and enable WEP click generate and select you password will be able to see your password when and if you go into your router

best to make a backup of your router save it to your choice folder name it WPA old then change to WEP and save that, that way you can change back or when settings go astray restore to your backup file

woodchip 21:51 03 Oct 08

You are better sticking with WPA just change it when you go to work if thats what they want. but WEP is asking for trouble

Dalglish2 14:31 04 Oct 08

thanks both, food for thought - I may just go for hard wired when at home but advice from both of you is excellent - many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced