Change Website logo

PC guy 19:35 13 Mar 08

Hi guys
I am creating a website and wondered if anyone knoew how to change the icon of a website (it is behind the url in the address bar) i have my .ico image all I needto know is how to make my logo appear on the url.
thanks

Kemistri 19:51 13 Mar 08

Place it in the root of your server directory.

MAJ 20:48 13 Mar 08

It's called a Favicon, PC guy. I think it has to be 16 x 16 pixels. As Kemistri says, put it in the root of the main directory. Internet Explorer can be funny about showing them from time to time, so don't be too perturbed if it doesn't appear. I find Firefox and Safari are more willing to show them.

PC guy 21:36 13 Mar 08

Thanks for your replys!
Do I have to have code something like that?

Kemistri 21:41 13 Mar 08

No. There's no code involved. The sum total of the effort required, once you have the image, is to place on the server. Browsers look for them.

PC guy 21:49 13 Mar 08

So I just place the icon in and nothing else?

MAJ 22:13 13 Mar 08

Well maybe, PC guy. You might find that you have to add something like:

<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="/favicon.ico">

in the Head section of each page you want the Favicon to appear on, if it doesn't appear automatically. But remember to refresh the page, when you upload it, first before rying the code.

Forum Editor 23:48 14 Mar 08

because most browsers look for .ico images automatically. As long as your image is in the root of your server directory it should load. If you find that a particular browser isn't loading your icon you'll need to add the code posted by MAJ.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos