Change Router/Modem

Press Man 09:35 04 Sep 08

Hi Guys,

I currently have a Linksys AG241 wired Router/Modem which I think is giving me problems whereby my connection keeps dropping in and out every minute or so. I have changed cables, filters etc but no change. This is quite a recent issue maybe the last few weeks? So, I want to try another Router/Modem hoping that this will cure my issue. Can anyone recommend a wired Router/Modem I could try. I do not want to go wireless as I am quite happy as I am. OS Vista Sp1, AMD 64 2.2 processor KIS AV.
Thanks in advance of your help.

Chris the Ancient 09:51 04 Sep 08

You may not have a router problem. It may be a line problem.

Before going for a new router, try plugging your computer directly into the phone test socket (remove the cover of the phone socket and the test socket is behind that)and running for a while.

I had a similar problem and found that, by doing that, the fault was not in the router but was in my wiring. A new piece of electrical problem nearby was causing my woes. A better quality cable and a slightly different route cured that problem.

And it was cheaper than a new router!

Press Man 10:05 04 Sep 08

Chris the Ancient

Unfortunately I do not have the test socket you escribe. I have the old style phone socket!

oldbeefer2 14:00 04 Sep 08

Press Man - I have been using a Speedtouch 546 for the best part of a year. Much, much better than the Netgear I had before. No dropouts at all compared with several each day with the Netgear. just about to change to a Speedtouch wireless as a laptop has arrived. Now passing 546 on to my brother to replace his modem.

Chris the Ancient 14:01 04 Sep 08

That makes me even more suspicious that there is more likely to be a line problem than a router one.

How does your router actually connect to the outside world?

Press Man 15:52 04 Sep 08

Chris the Ancient

Connects from filter in old style master phone socket, filter to router then to pc via a ethernet cable.

Chris the Ancient 16:49 04 Sep 08

Makes it awkward!

I would be tempted to look at having an engineer investigate - and maybe get a new socket(s) fitted. A lot of those old wiring connections do tend to get a bit 'iffy' with time. Don't tell them that it is a problem with broadband; say that phone calls tend to get distorted and a bit intermittent at times. And before he comes whip out any filters and just have it set up as a phone system. Otherwise, if you have a mate that can do it for you, get new sockets from Maplin (or similar) and replace all the old ones.

Problems such as yours can be due to a dodgy router/modem; but, generally, it's more often down to wiring.

Do you know anyone who can lend you a modem as a trial?

Chris the Ancient 16:55 04 Sep 08

As an aside, I used to have a speedtouch 'frog' which was not that clever as modems go.

I changed to a Netgear DG834 - which is a wireless router modem - because I needed to work on a new laptop - and then put in a good quality cable (from Maplin) from my master socket through to my 'study'.

Best investment in time (and a bit of money) I ever made; and my broadband has been as steady as a rock and achieves expected speeds when things aren't too busy on my estate.

skidzy 17:01 04 Sep 08

If your interested i have a couple of usb Speedtouch 330 adsl modems (not router) kicking around,you are more than welcome to one-even if only to test your line.
Vista drivers are available from the Speedtouch website.The modems work absolutely fine and in very good condition.
If you pm me and i can get one shipped out to you.

Press Man 17:14 04 Sep 08

skidzy

I appreciate your very kind offer, but I can borrow one from a work collegue and see if there is indeed a router/modem issue or not. If there is not an issue with a different router/modem, then it looks as though it will be an expensive call out charge from BT to check out the line/socket/wiring.

Press Man 20:24 06 Sep 08

Hi Guys,

Now using a D-Link Router/Modem, all seems fine so far. Will tick as resolved for now. Many thanks to all for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…