Change Router Configuration

Greengage 11:39 12 Nov 05

I want to change my D Link 614+ config so that I can use encryption but there is no D Link software loaded or on their disk to enable me to do this. I try visiting site click here as per the instructions supplied - which allows you to go through all the config - but all I get is "page unavailable" etc which takes an age to load in any event. Can anyone please advise?

mgmcc 12:11 12 Nov 05

Some routers require a "wired" connection to configure them - are you trying to access the setup page with a "wired" or "wireless" connection?

While configuring, try giving the Local Area Connection a fixed IP address in the same subnet as the router - for example, use 192.168.0.2

In any firewall software, has the router's IP address [192.168.0.1] been added to the "trusted area"?

Greengage 12:31 12 Nov 05

Trying to configure on wired connection. Firewall does have the router's IP address. Have just added fixed address as suggested ie 192.168.0.2 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and with gateway 192.168.0.1 but this still makes no difference.

mgmcc 14:58 12 Nov 05

If the router still won't display its 'Setup' page when its IP address is entered into a browser, you might have to press the reset button to restore it to factory defaults and set it up again :(

I can't think of any other reason why the page is inaccessible.

Greengage 19:26 12 Nov 05

Forgot to mention that I had already tried reset but again no success. Thanks for your help though mgmcc.

mgmcc 14:53 13 Nov 05

Silly question, but is 192.168.0.1 the correct IP address for the router and accessing its setup page?

Greengage 09:06 14 Nov 05

Sorry for delay in responding. Yes it is. By the way, why does the Router not show in Device Manager - only the ethernet adapter shows but on my laptop both the adapter and the PCMCIA card with Manufacturer's name ( D Link DWL 650+) are shown?

mgmcc 11:28 14 Nov 05

<<< why does the Router not show in Device Manager >>>

Because a Router isn't *installed* in a PC. It is a network device that you connect to by ethernet in the same way as you can connect to a network hub/switch or directly to another PC without *installing* them.

If you mean a "Wireless Network Adapter" installed in the PC, and which connects to the Router, then this should appear in Device Manager.

LimestoneRock 13:51 14 Nov 05

Thanks.

Greengage 11:57 15 Nov 05

Matter resolved. In my internet settings options I had "use a proxy server" ticked in the LAN settings. Removing this tick enabled me to get into 192.168.0.1 to change the configuration. Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…