CHANGE programme START UP

novis 13:24 01 Jul 07

At startup my scanner software does a search for the scanner which is not attached - it also searches whenever I install the USB driver or a CD - which is annoying.

How do I have it start up only when I want it to - i.e when the scanner is attached to the computer.

I run Vista and although the scanner Arcsoft Paperport) is not listed it may be there as a hidden file.

How do I delete it from the start-up folder? if this is what I need to do o have it continually interrupt the progress of accessing CDs or the USB drive.

anskyber 13:35 01 Jul 07

Type msconfig in the search box on the Start page, agree the UAC warning and then choose the start up tab in the window. Find your scanner and take it out of start up.

nuttycomputer 13:38 01 Jul 07

Try this to alter your start up:
click here
Handy little program that gives you information and the option to remove items..

anskyber 13:48 01 Jul 07

Have you tried it on Vista? The spec does not mention Vista compliance.

nuttycomputer 13:53 01 Jul 07

The program is new, so its worth a try.

If not then here is a Vista Compat simular program:
click here

m lins control panel,which i use with xp
states
Startup Control Panel is compatible with all modern versions of Windows through Windows XP. Windows Vista, after all these years, finally has a very good startup manager built-in; go to Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools, and then click on Manage Startup Programs on the left

click here for ref. and xp users

novis 18:17 01 Jul 07

Good plan, but ...

Vista does not have a Performance information and Tools Option in the Control Panel[that I could find] but in the Programmes > Change Startup Programmes brings up Software Explorer. I can find the relevant software which is listed as 'Not Yet Classified' with no options when I highlight it to Remove or Disable. I can R* in the @not Yet Classified' which allows me to choose: 'Startup Type' 'Publisher' or 'No Grouping'.

None of them seem to be 'Startup Types' - but 'No Grouping'

What now?

anskyber 18:22 01 Jul 07

It won't necessarily in the control start up programs bit.

Follow my Sun, [email protected]:35 post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…