change pppoe to pppoa to use internet/router

josie mayhem 22:39 25 Sep 05

I've connected my new laptop to my network, but can't get onto the internet.

I set up the router/adsl as normal and have network connection with my other computers no problems. It states that I'm connected to my isp via pppoa and this is working fine.

But when I try to connect to the internet explorer says that it can't find sever.

If I try to manuly connect, it has a connect to option I get a box that say connecting via wan miniport (pppoe) then tells me that error 678.

I know that somehow I need exploer to use my ether/router connection so it's using pppoa istead but I don't know how>

mgmcc 22:57 25 Sep 05

If your new laptop is connected to a router, it shouldn't be trying to establish a connection to the ISP with PPPoA protocol - it is the function of the ROUTER to establish the internet connection and any computers connected to it should automatically have internet access over the LAN.

In Internet Explorer's menus, "Tools > Internet Options", select the Connections tab and ensure "Never dial a connection" has been selected. Although it shouldn't be necessary, you could click the LAN Settings button and, in the next box, tick "Automatically detect settings".

You shouldn't have any ISP software installed in the laptop if it is being used in conjunction with a router.

josie mayhem 23:16 25 Sep 05

That's what I can't understand, on all the other computers all I have is the network connected to the router, and if I go to view all connection, then all I have showing here is my lan connection and my firewire connection.

but with the laptop I've touble checked the above and I end up with a braodband connection which is running pppoe. If I uninstall this and try to connect (which by going start>internet) this open up my home page, but I get can't find server on it...

josie mayhem 23:24 25 Sep 05

While I was waiting for help, I had decided to do a system restore ment that I would lose some of my work, but I was at the end of my tether to say the lest.

But it done the trick, I'm have it up and running, I've had a quick mungle around but can't see the differene in the before or the now, al information seem's to be the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…