Change photo to elliptical shape?

zanwalk 19:11 07 May 04

Does anyone know of a program (preferably free!) to convert a digital photo to an elliptical shape for printing on a greetings card? I already possess Paint Shop Pro 7, which is a wonderful piece of software, but I cannot fathom how to do this relatively simple operation, if indeed, it is possible using PSP.

Any help from all you graphics experts out there would be much appreciated!

woodchip 19:19 07 May 04

You mean a vignette, some programs do it but not all it where to start with recommending one. I presume you mean a free one. the one you have should do that look for vignette in menu under something like effects borders

Pidder 19:26 07 May 04

I use ULead PhotoExpress, in this you select a shape, such as a circle, apply it and then draw out the sides to the ellipse you want. possibly the same with PSP?

watchful 19:49 07 May 04

I don't know if PSP is the same but I use Microsoft Picture It photo 2002 and under CROP there is a panel with lots of different shapes, one of which is almost oval - a bit like a lemon.

zanwalk 19:54 07 May 04

Thanks for that, but I don't think PSP has the facility - although I may be wrong.

Woodchip

Yes, preferably free as I would only use it very occasionally.

zanwalk 19:57 07 May 04

That is exactly what I wish to do, however, I don't think that is a free program is it?

watchful 20:05 07 May 04

No, it isn't but I just thought PSP may have the same although I guess you'd have found it by now.

Pesala 20:09 07 May 04

From click here will do it very easily. Drag an oval selection over the picture, copy to clipboard, paste as new image, and export as JPG. The background will be white. If you need a transparent background, you will need to open it in Irfan View (or PhotoShop) to save it as PNG or GIF, which are not supported by the free version of PhotoPlus.

Pesala 20:09 07 May 04

Probably the same technique will work in Photoshop too.

dotterel 20:17 07 May 04

Just to butt in.... There's no oval selection available in PSP, (At least half an hour's searching hasn't found it!)

zanwalk 20:22 07 May 04

Thanks for that, I actually have Photoplus 6, and found that I could do what I wanted but I was unable to save the pic as anything other than Photoshop's pwn format, therefore I couldn't use the file in any other program. I haven't tried copying to the clipboard though, so will give it a try - thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…