Change partition sizes

alB 15:19 PM 14 Nov 11
Answered

I’m trying to sort out an old Acer laptop for a family member, Windows Vista basic with a small 70Gb hard drive that is split into two equal partitions with the C part very nearly full, using the Disk Management utility I’ve been able to shrink the D partition down to 16Gb and now have 16Gb unallocated. How can I allocate the 16Gb to the C drive to make it bigger, the extend volume option is greyed out …alB

gengiscant 15:38 PM 14 Nov 11
Answer

This should do you.Partition manager.

alB 17:51 PM 14 Nov 11

gengiscant, thanks for your link, have downloaded and tried the prog but I still can't move the unallocated disk space, tried to merge it with the C drive but no joy ...alB

gengiscant 18:05 PM 14 Nov 11

Sorry I missed the part of your post where you mentioned " extend volume " is greyed out.Are you Xp or Vista by the way? I have found this, have not used it myself so cannot comment.Extend. Also the unallocated space must be to the right to use Extend Volume

BRYNIT 18:21 PM 14 Nov 11

Is the unallocated space to the right or left of the D partition?

If its to the right click on the D drive and drag it to the right the unallocated space should now be between the C and D drive.

You can now select the C drive and expand it to include the unallocated space. Remember to click on apply to complete the process.

alB 16:33 PM 15 Nov 11

gengiscant/BRYNIT, worked a treat, thanks very much for your input, although I don't know how long a 50gb partition will last before that's full too!! I might suggest getting an external drive to use as well. Thanks again chaps, great advice as always ...alB

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…