Change of O/S

wicked willy 23:14 26 Jan 04

I am using an E-Machines which only has a recovery disc(if I have a Problem)and My Family have bought a full version of XP Home Edition.
As it is the full version,can I install it over the existing Home Edition, will I lose all my work or do I have to back up all my work and Programs. Any Help would be gratefully received. Thanks in Advance Bill

woodchip 23:19 26 Jan 04

It should load OK over you presant setup without altering you program's it only the Windows settings that should be put back to default

wicked willy 23:21 26 Jan 04

Thanks WoodChip for your Help, Can`T find a better Website than this Cheers Bill

woodchip 23:25 26 Jan 04

Say thank's when you have tried it Woodchip

gudgulf 23:27 26 Jan 04

You can use the Windows xp disc to update your original os as an upgrade----however you would be wise to back up all your data and settings beforehand.Just in case!

It would probably be better in the long run to reformat your hard drive an use a clean install of Windows. You would need to make sure that you have all the drivers required for the motherboard,sound,graphics and any other software that you use before you do though.

©®@$? 23:32 26 Jan 04

i agree with the above if you can make a backup and do a full clean install of windows xp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced