Change from one computer to another

drake1948 21:10 19 Nov 05

I have decided to get rid of my 7 year old Dell and have purchased a new base unit. Being pretty thick where computers are concerned, what is the best way to transfer all my files etc. from the old unit to the new one. My old base unit only had a floppy drive in it which shows you how old it it. I understand that I have to re-install Windows XP and Office but what about all the other rubbish I have accumulated. And will I have a problem retaining all my old e-mails on Outlook express. Any advice would be most welcome.

Skills 21:20 19 Nov 05

The easiest way is to take the hard drive out of your old base unit and put it into the new unit as a slave if you can or buy a external caddy to fit the hard drive into that connects to your new pc via USB.

You can then drag and drop your files from your old hard drive onto your new one.

For backing up emails in OE I use this program click here it will create a backup of your mail to a folder of your choice you can then use the same program to restore the backup on your new PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:54 19 Nov 05

Programs - accessories -system tools -filesand settings transfer wizard.

this will transfer all e-mail settings favourites my document folders etc to the new machine.

VoG II 22:56 19 Nov 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…