change name in win xp

paulj 19:06 26 Mar 03

I have bought a pc from my brother with win xp loaded. how can i change all the default user names eg. when i open documents and settings there are two folders "all users" and folder with my "brothers name" on it if i try to renameit windows wont let me. also his name is on the general tab in system properties. can any one help please
paulj

flecc 19:11 26 Mar 03

To change the current user in System Properties, open the registry editor, take the usual backup precautions and navigate to this registry key:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version

click on Current Version to see the entry in the right hand pane. Double click the icon to amend it, no need to restart afterwards for the change to take effect.

barrie_g 19:13 26 Mar 03

control panel/ user accounts /change account

flecc 19:13 26 Mar 03

I have a very strong suspicion that you cannot change the folder with your brother's name in it in Windows XP except by reinstalling XP.

Basically it's been set up in the original installation as a system file.

paulj 19:28 26 Mar 03

Thanks flecc
that did the trick in system properties but not documents and settings i'll reboot and see if it works for that as well

connora 19:29 26 Mar 03

Agree with flecc's response

paulj 22:07 26 Mar 03

thanks for your help guess i'll just have to live with it.
paulj

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…