Change my 'user' name?

Chris the Ancient 21:43 22 Oct 04

Before my computer went totally thingies up, Under the Documents and Settings menu, it listed me by name.

While my machine was being fixed, Mr Fixit (at my request) banged in XP and SP2 (off my legit disks, I hasten to add). He registered me by name OK and I've manged to set myself up with the administrator account - again using my name.

However...

Under Documents and Settings, I now appear as 'User'.

Only a minor thing really, but is there a way that I can change this 'User' to something more meaningful like my own name?

About to have dinner so will catch the answer (if there is one - and I hope that there is!) a little later.

TIA

CtA

JoeC 21:49 22 Oct 04

Start > Control Panel > User accounts > Change Account > pick an account to change, Change name ???

Chris the Ancient 21:52 22 Oct 04

Trouble is...

The account is already under my name!

temp003 07:57 23 Oct 04

As far as I can remember, you can change the account name or how it appears on the welcome screen, but you can't change the user folder name under Documents and Settings (whether Home or Pro).

Whether there's a registry fix I don't know. Other than that, the only way I know of is to delete the account (having created another account with Admin privileges first), and remove the files and folders associated with the account.

JonnyTub 09:12 23 Oct 04
  JonnyTub 09:14 23 Oct 04

sorry that link above is for win2000 heres xp link click here

Chris the Ancient 12:03 23 Oct 04

Back in the land of continuing to configure my new setup.

JonnyTub...

I had a look at that article. Scary!!! I have visions of things going extremely wrong if I try doing that - so I think I'll give that idea a miss for now.

I was hoping that there might be a little program on the internet somewhere that would do all that for me without and more trauma. Anyone seen one?

Chris the Ancient 16:07 23 Oct 04

Bump to try and catch the afternoon shift

:-)

spikeychris 16:47 23 Oct 04

How to Copy a User Profile
click here

Chris the Ancient 17:44 23 Oct 04

In the middle of some serious loading!

Will try a little later and feed back then

CtA

Chris the Ancient 19:10 23 Oct 04

Did all that stuff in spikeychris's link and just couldn't seem to make it work. I could muck about and copy all sorts of profiles - except the original 'user' profile. I can't be bothered with completely rebuilding a whole profile, so I guess i shall have to make do with being known simply as 'user'.

Such is life.

Sigh...

I shall leave the thread for a little longer and then admit defeat.

CtA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…