Change motherboard. Format hard drive, a must?

Devious Dave 15:35 21 Jan 04

If you change a motherboard to a board with a different chipset do you have to format the hard drive or will the changing be recognised and the new drivers/controllers etc installed.

dth 15:40 21 Jan 04

the general accepted view is that it is best to format the drive - as although it might work without formatting it may well cause on-going problems.

woodchip 15:42 21 Jan 04

In a nutshell

Jester2K 15:45 21 Jan 04

Have done it once by installing the new Mobo drivers but then had to reinstall ME over the top of itself to get a stable system.

Personally i would take advantage of the situation to reformat and reinstall....

Newuser3968 17:31 21 Jan 04

have done that wemt to re-install windoes and can't find the product key for win 2K, any help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jester2K 17:33 21 Jan 04

Do you mean you have no CD Key or is that an error message you are getting?

Diemmess 17:51 21 Jan 04

A mistake to jump in here with your own problem.If you start a new thread you will get better answers.

Jester2K 18:03 21 Jan 04

Hmmm didn't notice it was someone else...

Newuser3968 21:48 22 Jan 04

cd key missing, it's been quite a while since i used it last, moved house since and can't find most things.............thanks Diemmess, i'll try elsewhere, be well

Chegs ® 22:09 22 Jan 04

Depending on the OS,various things happen.XP will recognise the hardware has changed,and if it decides that the "Hash" number has altered,it will need reactivating(but it will boot up as XP carries enough drivers to sort itself)98se,also boots(as I found lastnite after installing an image created on a previous puter to my new setup)but my desktop was in 640x480,16 colours.None of the previous mobo's drivers worked my present machines hardware so I had no optical drives,no way to install the relevant drivers(as most my hdd's are NTFS,apart from a small partition with FAT32 for 98)Due to the possibilities of conflicts,you would be better off reinstalling all apps etc to a clean hdd,and format it is the easiest option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…