Change Motherboard

Jester2K II 10:13 09 Sep 03

I need to change a motherboard (duff one supplied).

I WAS planning on undoing the Heatsink clip and lifting the lever to remove the Heatsink, fan and processor in one and drop into the new board.

HOWEVER the Heatsink (AMD approved) is wide and covers the lever so i can't do it without removing the Heatsink from the processor i suppose.

Anyone help a duff handed fool get this moved to the new board??

Jester2K II 10:43 09 Sep 03

Oh and i can't cut the lever as it need to return the old one. Also don't want to damage the new one - not mine!!!

Switcher 11:14 09 Sep 03

Tricky problem. Slide feeler guage between heatsink and processor to try and break seal

Jester, I really dont think it is worthe the risk of bent / damaged pins to save a little cleaning with White spirit and reapplication of compound for the amount of time saved :-(

Jester2K II 11:54 09 Sep 03

Got Isopropanol for cleaning.

Whats the method for removing the Heatsink then? Pull straight up? Twist? Then what to i replace the heat transfer pad with? Thermal Compound? Are there differences? How much do i use? Direct on the Heatsink or the processor?

So many questions....

So scared....

Djohn 12:24 09 Sep 03

Once you have released the clips on the heatsink you should find it will lift up from the CPU without any effort at all, this applies whether thermal paste, or a pad has been used. Regards. j.

Jester2K II 12:28 09 Sep 03

Then lift the lever to release the procesor?

Then i presume you put the processor in the new board and then what with the heatsink?

Sorry i really want (please) start to finish instructions cos i'm that scared...

Djohn 12:39 09 Sep 03

Yes, Carefully line up the new CPU making sure it's the correct way round. It should insert without any pressure at all, almost by itself. Replace the locking lever.

Heatsink. Use either paste or a pad, [I always use the latter]. Make sure the base of the heatsink is fully cleaned and apply the pad/paste to the heatsink, the pads are very thin, about the same thickness as 60 gm paper. If using paste, then apply the same amount, IE. very thin coat applied evenly over the base of the sink.

Replace the sink gently on top of CPU and refasten with clips. They [CPU's] are delicate and should not be handled carelessly, but they are not so fragile that normal handling will cause any damage. Regards. j.

Jester2K II 12:40 09 Sep 03

Djohn - thanks v much....

OK going out later to get new mobo....

I know that once i've done it once i can do it a million times but its that first time....

Djohn 12:48 09 Sep 03

The first time I changed a CPU and /or heatsink, it took me all afternoon. [Shaking like a leaf].

Now even with my thick and arthritic fingers, I can remove/clean and replace in about 5 or 6 mins. Remember though, very little paste if you use it, but an even coat. Good luck. j.

Sorry Jester, I thought you were trying to avoid applying new pads or compound and were trying to remove the entire unit in one piece.

Djohn has given excellent advice and this can be followed confidently.

I would only add that the CPU will have a little gold triangle in the top right hand corner, this corresponds to the top right hand corner of the ZIF socket. Once the right way round the CPU will literally fall into place with no effort.

with the paste (thermal compound) an amount the size of a matchstick head is ample.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…