change to ME

marineX 14:32 21 Jul 04

I want to change operating system from windows 98 second edition to the ME. My copy of ME is full version not an upgrade. Do I need to completely reformat my hard drive or what. I was hoping I could do it without reformating.
If so could someone please give me instructions on what and how to do it.
Thank you

LastChip 14:40 21 Jul 04

There are three basic ways you can attack this.

1. Reformat and start from scratch. In my opinion, by far the better way, as it eliminates potential conflicts, but the downside is, you will loose everything on that Partition or Drive, and so the requirement to backup everything you need is most important.

2. Make a floppy start-up disc, boot from it, and let ME install as an upgrade to '98. This will work, but almost always leaves behind remnants of files, that not only clog up the system unnecessarily, but can cause conflicts.

3. Set your BIOS to boot from the CD as First boot device, and continue as 2.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 21 Jul 04

Unless yuo have the intall disks for all your application i.e. office photoshop etc. you will have to do an upgrade.

Clean install much better but longer due to back up all your important files to another partion or cd then after Me installed hours reloading all your applications.

marineX 18:21 21 Jul 04

Ok great, now can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to reformat and change from win 98 2nd to ME. I have the ME on CD, and it is not yet installed on any computer.

LastChip 18:46 21 Jul 04

Make yourself a Win98 start-up disc and if you want to be on the safe side download an ME start-up disc too.

Place the Win98 start-up disc in the floppy drive and boot the machine. When you get to the menu, select Start to a DOS prompt.

At the prompt, which will look something like this;

type this command;

format C:

that's format a space and then C and a colon; select enter.

DOS will then tell you, you are about to destroy all the data on the drive and ask you do you want to continue; select Y for yes and DOS will do it's dirty deed.

Once it is done, it will ask you if you want to label the drive. It doesn't matter whether you do this or not. It's up to you.

You will now have a "clean drive" on which to place ME.

Re-boot the machine and select the appropriate key to get into the BIOS. Reset your first boot drive to CD Rom; Save and Exit.

Place your ME CD in the drive and let the machine boot, from there, follow the prompts as desired.

bremner 19:37 21 Jul 04

Just a point - it the opinion of many that changing from W98SE to ME is in actual fact a downgrading.

98SE is much more stable and ME offers little or nothing over 98SE.

Chris the Ancient 20:02 21 Jul 04

I've gone through each of the windows as they've come out since Win 3.1

Of them all, I never had as much trouble as I had with ME.

I bought a lappie, and unable to afford another copy of XP, I loaded my old 98SE rather than go for ME.

bremner is bang on. ME was a very poor relation to Win2000 and just about everyone who used ME was glad to go to XP.

Can you afford that bit extra and go the XP route?

Chris the Ancient 20:03 21 Jul 04

afraid, not afrain!!

Bebee 20:09 21 Jul 04

I have been using ME on PC and Laptop and have found it stable and quick. I use XP pro on a work laptop and have just bought a laptop with XP home pre-installed. I would atill be inclined to go with ME given the choice. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Bebee 20:10 21 Jul 04

Sorry - still not atill.

Totally-braindead 20:18 21 Jul 04

I'm afraid I didn't like Me either, it caused me more trouble than all the others put together. My first computer had Windows 3.1 then I had Win 95 then Win 98 then Win 98SE then Win Me and now I've got XP, all on different machines of course. The two best Operating Systems in my opinion are Win 98SE and XP. I found Me to be unstable and much more prone to crashing than Win 98SE. Theres no harm in trying it of course perhaps all the problems I had were due to it not liking something about my system. A friend of mine has Me and says he never has a problem with it. So maybe its just me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…