Change ISP logo on Outlook Express.

Daibus 09:06 09 Apr 04

How do you change old ISP information that is displayed on the top line of Outlook Express?

Diodorus Siculus 09:20 09 Apr 04

click here

click here

click here

Fix Internet Explorer's Title Bar Text

This tip was derived from a request for help by reader Gary Kauffman, who uninstalled ISP software only to discover that the ISP's name remained in Internet Explorer 5.0's title bar. If this happens to you, or if you want to customize the text in the title bar, perhaps so it doesn't say "Microsoft Internet Explorer," for example, follow these easy steps. This tip requires Registry editing, so back up your System Registry files first (USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT in your Windows folder).

Open System Registry Editor and navigate to first this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

then this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

At each location, double-click the "Window Title" item on RegEdit's right pane. Edit the "Value data" field to show the text your prefer. If you delete everything in the field, you should get Internet Explorer's original title bar text, which is "Microsoft Internet Explorer." (Note: You may not find a modified Window Title item in both Registry locations.)

If you didn't find the a "Window Title" item in either Registry location, you can add one in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section. Click once on the Main folder to select it. Then right-click the white background anywhere on the right pane, and choose New > String Value. Name the new string value icon "Window Title" and press Enter. Now double-click it and type the text you'd like to appear in Internet Explorer's Title bar. This also works in IE versions, IE 4.0 and above.

Some Win Insider readers have reported that a file ending in .INS was controlling the title bar text on their PCs. If you strike out with other methods, do a search of your whole drive for .INS files. Open them with a text editor, and see if you find such a file, look for a line in it that reads "Window_Title=" or something to that effect. Try changing the words that follow if they match up with what you see in your browser's title bar.

Fix Outlook Express's Title Bar Text

Clearing up the problem in Outlook Express story is similar, but not quite the same. Using System Registry Editor, you'll find the location for changing Outlook Express's title bar text by starting:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Unique-User-ID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0

Where you see {Unique-User-ID} above, you should instead find a user ID number that looks something like this:

Let me explain. Two things complicate matters at this point: 1. You can control the OE 5.0 title bar text separately for each OE 5.0 Identity. 2. Each OE 5.0 Identity gets its own unique user ID number. What's more, no two Windows installations have the same user ID numbers (theoretically). If you have multiple OE identities configured, you'll find multiple user ID entries. If you've never created a new OE Identity, then you'll find just one.

With the \5.0 key selected on the left pane of RegEdit, look for the "WindowTitle" entry on the right pane, and double-click it to change your title-bar text. If you don't find the WindowTitle entry, right-click the left pane's background, and choose New > String Value. Name the new icon "WindowTitle" (without the character space between the two words used on the corresponding icon for Internet Explorer). Press Enter, then double-click it and type the new title-bar text. The default is "Outlook Express." If you have multiple user IDs, repeat for each ID.

As with Internet Explorer, some readers report that their OE 5.0 title-bar text was controlled by an .INS file, so if you strike out, follow the same steps outlined above at the end of the Internet Explorer section.

Fix Internet Explorer's and Outlook Express's Animated Logos

So, how do you remove the bitmaps that replace IE's revolving logo in the upper right corner of the browser window? Start by shutting down all browser instances and Outlook Express.

Open the System Registry Editor: Click the Start button > Run > type REGEDIT > and press Enter.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

Delete the items: "BrandBitmap" and "SmBrandBitmap." If you find the items "BigBitmap" and "SmallBitmap," delete them as well.

Then navigate to this location in Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Delete these items: "BigBitmap" and "SmallBitmap."

Close RegEdit and launch the browser. Everything should be back to normal.

Stuartli 10:40 09 Apr 04

There's an easier, built-in method:

First close down Internet Explorer then click Start and Run. In the Open dialog box type:

rundll32.exe iedkcs32.dll,Clear (note the space after .exe and comma before Clear; worth a cut and paste) and click OK.

After restarting Internet Explorer the annoying ISP branding should disappear.

Or, if you have SpywareBlaster installed (and really you should!), you can get rid of the branding merely by going to Tools, OE Misc and typing in whatever you require.

Purely for vanity's sake, you understand, I have my own name where the ISP is normally placed; it works for both IE and OE.

hatrickj 11:58 09 Apr 04

I used the #3 link supplied by Diodorus which is very similar to the suggestion by Stuartli. Is there any difference in their effects? I ask this as I got rid of the offending logo but the line ath the top of the OExpress still shows 'provided by X which is no longer my supplier. Can anyone suggest how that can also be amended to the new provider or none at all? I would prefer not to have to go in to the registry to effect the change?

Stuartli 14:14 09 Apr 04

My suggestion normally removes the ISP branding but you have to type the line exactly as stated; that's why a cut and paste is more accurate..:-)

hugh-265156 16:50 09 Apr 04

this does what Stuartli suggests but all you have to do is click it click here

Daibus 18:46 09 Apr 04

Diodorus Siculus

Thank you all guys and I tried DS's suggestion and it worked, first time.

hatrickj 15:27 13 Apr 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…