Change internet from USB to Ethernet connection

Zapit 21:43 28 Feb 08

I have made a number of attempts to connect my pc and modem using ethernet instead of usb and followed all the NTL/Virgin instructions to the letter. I have bought a Maplin PCI 10/100 network card and today bought a new UTP Patch Cable. If I use the motherboards WAN connection the ENET light on the modem stays on, but I still cant get onto the internet. If I connect to the new network card instead, the ENET LED does not light up at all.Windows network connections,LAN or high speed internet window shows the network connection and says "network cable unplugged" Realtek RTL8139/810x. Any ideas on why the modem doesn't work with Ethernet pleas?

Jak_1 22:01 28 Feb 08

I take it that it was setup for usb! probably needs to be reset for ethernet.

PC Bilbo 22:07 28 Feb 08

Is your ethernet card shown as working in Device Manager?

If so check Virgin Broadband settings here depending on your modem click here

zarobian 22:50 28 Feb 08

Power off your cable modem,wait for about 3 minutes and then power on again.Modem will now recognise your new connection.
You have to remove your USB cable altogether.

brundle 23:10 28 Feb 08

Install drivers for network card, when you say your motherboard already has a LAN connector are you using that one for something else?

Hook things up so the link lights are on, go through the Connect To The Internet steps - I am assuming XP, choose `broadband connection that is always on`.
click here

As zarobian says, remove the USB cable.

ambra4 05:40 29 Feb 08

“If I use the motherboards WAN connection the ENET light stay on”

First thing remove the new LAN card that you installed

Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the Lan port on the motherboard

Power off the cable modem and configure the LAN card and network

click here

Once you have configure the Lan card on the computer

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate an IP address to it.

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

ambra4 05:42 29 Feb 08

As zarobian says, remove the USB cable.

Zapit 10:16 02 Mar 08

Thanks to all who helped sort my connection problem especially ambra4 who gave tip top information which is worth keeping. having made all the adjustments, it still didnt work until in frustration I waggled the enet plug in the modem socket and found that it worked only when I pushed down hard on the plug. The socket had been fouled presumably by a previous user. It was certainly fast while it was working! Virgin are replacing the modem which I don't think was new when I first got it. Thanks again, thanks ambra4.

ambra4 11:21 02 Mar 08

Glad to hear all working enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…