Change HDD to Sata

RedYelBlu 09:45 27 Sep 09

Hi, my PC has 2 HDD's and the master is getting full up. (Its only 80gb)I want to fit a Sata 250gb Hdd in its place as the MB has 4 connections for Sata devices, and none of them are in use.

I have bought a copy of Acronis to make a copy of the Hdd.

Is it just a matter of using Acronis to copy everything from the IDE HDD to the Sata HDD?

Is the anything else I should be aware of?
- The IDE HDD is split into 2 partitions, Im assuming that after copying onto the Sata HDD I set it as master and just swop over HDD's.
- Is there any problems with Win XP being put on another HDD, or is there only a problem when the same copy of XP is used with a different MB.
- Do I have to do any thing to the Bios on startup?
- Will the Sata HDD work ok with the slave IDE HDD?
Thanks all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:02 27 Sep 09

"Is it just a matter of using Acronis to copy everything from the IDE HDD to the Sata HDD? "

Clone the drive, not copy

"I set it as master and just swop over HDD's"

SATA does not have MASTER and slave you ned to connect to the lowest SATA port number on the board then reset the BIOS to boot from the SATA drive before the IDE drive.

"Is there any problems with Win XP being put on another HDD, or is there only a problem when the same copy of XP is used with a different MB"

No problem you need to change 4 pieces of equipement before needing to reactivate windows.

"Do I have to do any thing to the Bios on startup?"

Yes reset first boot device as SATA hard drives.

"Will the Sata HDD work ok with the slave IDE HDD?"

Yes

crosstrainer 11:45 27 Sep 09

Will your present motherboard support SATA? If not, then the best course of action is to purchase a large IDE HDD and proceed as Fruit Bat /\0/\ has indicated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 27 Sep 09

He states "the MB has 4 connections for Sata devices"

so he should be OK.

The biggest problem I foresee is getting it to boot from SATA first if he uses the IDE as slave.

crosstrainer 11:55 27 Sep 09

...oops..reaching for specs :))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 27 Sep 09

I have to hang mine round my neck or I could never see to find them.

:0)

crosstrainer 12:01 27 Sep 09

:))

RedYelBlu 13:38 27 Sep 09

Thanks for the replies. I use the slave IDE HDD for storing images and documents on. I thought that I would leave it disconnected from the MB, boot up from the Sata HDD and make sure alls well, then reconnect the slave HDD. I dont really want to buy a large IDE HDD because I want to upgrade the MB later.
There's 4 Sata connections on the MB, so I guess I can change the DVD drive to Sata as well?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 27 Sep 09

If you buy a sta DVd then yes.

My PC has 4 sata ports and 1 IDE chsnnel
3 sata hard drives and a DVD RW on the IDE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…