Change 'free' or Fat16 to Fat32 or NTFS

dracsville 14:45 19 Mar 07

Is it possible to change Fat16 (or 'free') into Fat32 or NTFS? I have a memory stick showing 'primary free' at present and have been trying to get Paragon HDM to change it to one or the other but without success. Is there a program that will? I have two computers, one NTFS and one Fat32 and like to use memory stick to pass files between. They used to do so ok until Paragon inadvertently did something to change things. Incidently, what does 'free' mean..?

Quiet Life 15:23 19 Mar 07

I have three memory stick. In XP I right click on them in My Computer and then Format as FAT32 under the Format optio. You have the option of FAT or FAT 32.
I do not think you can format them as NTFS.

dracsville 16:47 20 Mar 07

Unfortunately, XP doesn't see the stick at all, probably because it doesn't recognize FAT16. So, no format option there... On Win98, no option to change from Fat16 to Fat32 at all (that I could find). So I'm looking for a program that will do the job.

johndrew 16:58 20 Mar 07

Try looking under `Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management` it should show up there and you can then format it.

Diemmess 17:01 20 Mar 07

I hope I understand the problem.
Why not pop the stick into the 98 computer, right click and format it as FAT32.

I'm atad uncertain about the stick itself which may have been partitioned and I have no idea how you will get out of that one!

If you do have more than one partition you might be able to format each and take it from there.

As I expect you know, XP will read FAT32 so best hope is that the XP computer will be able to go further with the stick once it can see it.

Diemmess 17:36 20 Mar 07

I think you should be satisfied with FAT32 because while XP can read either FAT 32 or NTFS, W98SE cannot see NTFS.

This would mean you would not be able to transfer data to a 98 system even if you manage to format the pen drive as NTFS

The "Free" bothers me. Is that the free space on the drive? Not FAT16 surely.
I'm ready to be corrected and put in my place!

dracsville 16:09 21 Mar 07

Diemmess, I've tried that and wasn't given the option to go for Fat32, it just automatically format it to Fat16 again...and yet I should be happy to get it to Fat32... 'free' is all the HDM describes it as, so I can only guess. Johndrew, I'm sure I've tried that in the past but maybe I'll give it another go. Thanks again guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5