Change the filter they say- TalkTalk that is.

jack 07:59 21 May 10

One of my flock reports - by Email- that they have intermittent broadband connection- When contacting the supplier[TT] they are advised to 'Change the filters'.
Is this sound advice or another fudge from the Call centre in the subcontinent?

It so happens this individual lives in a village out of town and the telephone number suggests that it is a 'sub exchange' of the main one in a the main town[Exchange number followed by a single digit then telephone number]so other factors may be involved apart from the popularity of TT[therefore busy]
Is there any reason to 'Change Filters'

wiz-king 08:17 21 May 10

Yes - they can fail, but you should also check that all telephone equipment in the house has them, that the PC is on the master socket if possible and if the bell wire is not used then it should be disconnected at the master socket.
click here

TonyW2 11:35 21 May 10

Probably not the source and you would need to replace all the filters on every phone point, but it would eliminate that one possible source.

If the disconnections are frequent, the fault source is better determinedd by connecting modem direct into NT5 supply socket, with all other phone equipment disconnected.This will prove-or otherwise-whether the disconnections are due to the domestic side on equipment or wiring.
(Bell wire removal may improve speed , rather than disconnections.)
I found that you can get much better support by using the talktalk members forums for assistance (and complying exactly with their fault finding route)

click here

jack 12:11 24 May 10

No come back - one assumes all OK - or did I speak too soom?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac