change FAT to NTFS

Thanks for all the replies on the subject,but how do I convert from FAT to NTFS?

Djohn 22:15 23 Jul 03

From M/S site. Regards. j.

=====================================

Converting a FAT or FAT32 Volume to NTFS
NOTE: Although the possibility of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, it is recommended that you perform a backup of the data on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion.

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert:
convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS:
convert e: /fs:ntfs

When the following message is displayed in the command prompt window, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER:
The type of the file system is FAT.
Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter:

When the conversion to NTFS is complete, the following line is displayed in the command prompt window:

Conversion complete
Quit the command prompt.

I have been trying to convert my drive on and off for weeks, and on the latest try it came up with 'volume not available' when typing in the drive I want to convert (c)Any ideas?

JIM 09:26 10 Aug 03

Not to sure what OS your running now,see if the link helps,

click here

fitcher 15:41 10 Aug 03

if you have windows 2000 it will do the job for you. if you have xp it will ask you if you want to convert to it .if you have 98 you can't have ntfs. in win 2000 I usualy choose fat 32 because some games run better on it ...see you jimmy ..oh iee

-pops- 16:07 10 Aug 03

This changeover is not without risk, as I know from experience. Make certain there is either nothing important on the machine or that you have a backup of anything you want to keep before going ahead. It most likely will be OK but, it's happened to me, it could happen to others.

Brian

SEASHANTY 16:12 10 Aug 03

Partition Magic v.8 (which is the latest version will easily do this for you. Cheapest price available is currently at AMAZON £24-99 inclusive.
This edition also includes (for a limited time) the
application "DATAKEEPER" which will do automatic backups for you. Dabs price for this PM8 is around
£41-50 and elsewhere its around £45

-pops- 16:35 10 Aug 03

Datakeeper is a discontinued product and is no longer supported by PowerQuest. One of the problems leading to its demise was difficulty in being used with XP.

Be ultra careful if using Datakeeper for any archiving on XP.

SEASHANTY 01:00 13 Aug 03

DataKeeper and XP. Following info from Alden Taylor at PowerQuest.com. There are a couple of issues regarding XP, but DataKeeper as packaged with PartitionMagic 8.x should be okay. DataKeeper did start out as a standalone package, which package has been discontinued. DataKeeper was first bunled with Drive Image 2002, then with PartitionMagic 8.x to match our focus on PartitionMagic as a utility for managing partitions and data. We would like to know the specific forum address so if there is an error, with the information there, or here, we can correct it. Alden T., MCP. PowerQuest Technical Support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…