Change to ex-directory

max10 11:32 23 Aug 03

Have changed to an ex-directory number and can no longer accesss the net. Is there a connection, or has something else possibly gone wrong.

whybe 11:38 23 Aug 03

There shouldn't be but if you have also asked for your new number to be witheld so be you cannot be identified by the 1471 code, you need to place another set of numbers infront of your ISP's number as your number has to be identified whilst accessing the Net. I think the number is 1472 but you need to check with your telephone service provider.

Djohn 12:49 23 Aug 03

I'm ex-directory, it should not affect your ISP dial-up in any way. Ex-directory just means that your number is kept out of the phone books, also the operator has no access to your number.

If you phone someone, they can still do a 1471 on their phone and obtain your number. To avoid this from happening, dial 141 before each number you dial, this will wit hold your number from the recipient.

If you have asked for "Caller line identification" [CLID] to be placed on your line, then this will automatically wit hold your number, [No need to add 141 before dialling] But now your ISP is unable to Identify your call, so add 1472 to the front of your ISP number. Hope this is of some help to you. j.

graham√ 15:07 23 Aug 03

Some ISPs and contracts tie you to one number. If this applies and you have changed your number you must inform your ISP of the new number. Whether the new number is ex-directory or not is irrelevant.

If the new number is 'witheld' (this will not have been done unless you requested it), you will then have to prefix the access number with '1470' to release the number to your ISP.

Caller Line Identification applies to incoming calls on your line. If enabled, a Caller Display will show the number calling before you answer.

If you want to withold your number when making a call, dial 141 before the number.

Forum Editor 15:14 23 Aug 03

inbound login attempts unless your line has CLID enabled. This is so that the company can maintain a record of who logs in and from what number.

This information, plus the unique IP address that is dynamically assigned each time you login can be used to track your internet useage. It can also be used by the police in cases where they wish to know which computer was used to access certain web sites - and which telephone line was used to connect.

spuds 15:27 23 Aug 03

I have a ex-directory telephone number, and the ISP that I use works fine. I would check with your ISP as some require that additional numbers are installed into the connection procedure.This is to do with billing purposes.

graham√ 15:38 23 Aug 03

Sorry, this is a common confusion! As I said above, CLID is for incoming calls. Number witheld applies to outgoing calls, as to your ISP.

Only 'SOME' ISPs and contracts are limited to one number and require the number to be released if it is normally witheld. Most just check the IP address of your computer.

This enables, say, laptop users to plug in any available phone socket when on the move.

Please feel free to copy and paste any of this for future use. :-)

Jester2K II 15:43 23 Aug 03

I think the thread is getting lost.

Max10 - it looks like you might need to add the number 1470 (or is it 1472) to your Modem Properties.

For a Windows 95,98 or 2000 machine, go to "Settings > Control Panel > Modem > Dialing Properties" and tick the box for disabling " Call Waiting" and add 1470 as the number to be dialled

The number dialling out should be something like

the two commas add pasues to allow the 1470 to take effect.

Djohn 16:05 23 Aug 03

Yep! graham√ is correct, I confused myself with the CLID, it is to show incoming calls. Also the correct number to add regarding ISP's is 1470 Sorry for the confusion. j.

graham√ 16:06 23 Aug 03

Spoilsport! I was quite enjoying the cut and thrust!

1472 will produce musical chimes.

'Adding pasues' and 'take effect', I assume, are technical terms? :-)

Gandalph 16:13 23 Aug 03

A point worth noting as well I think. The 1470,, will override any call waiting or 1571 messages that may be already on the exchange at the point of your Modem trying to dial out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…