//some 3rd party need geo

change drive letters

niftyeye 20:46 21 Sep 04

do you know how to change drive letters ie my hdd is f would like to go back to c please advise regards nigel

VoG II 20:52 21 Sep 04

For Windows XP click here

Noelg23 21:14 21 Sep 04

can I ask why you changed the drive letters in the first place and how did you get about that without corrupting any data on the drives? I know how to do it myself but found it risky...

niftyeye 21:50 21 Sep 04

i installed new hhd and left in card reader c/r got called d and hdd got f regards nigel

john-231489 11:51 10 Sep 05

Hi All I posted a similar request for assistance a couple of day ago because I had done a similar thing after a serious hard drive failure. I have tried everything but all I get from disk management is a message saying it cannot change it. I have tried all sorts but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know another way to change it from G to C. I have read the note from windows supplied by Vog (many thanks) but nothing seems to work. The other thing is. If I leave it as it is will it make any problems.
I really do not want to reload windows as it is a pain.
Many thanks

bremner 12:02 10 Sep 05

You shouild note from Vogs MS link the following

"Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in"

So if G is the main boot drive you can not change its drive letter. This is because all the registry entries and other system files are referenceing G.

john-231489 15:52 10 Sep 05

Thanks very much. I did suspect this and I will leave it as it is .

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…