Change CPU from Duron to Athlon

Terry Brown 19:31 05 Apr 06

I have a HP Pavilon 7920, running a Duron 900 chip. I have a 'spare' Athlon 1800 XP chip (From upgrade), will it it, and will it be much improvement
I have 256mb memory(133)and an independant graphics card.

Totally-braindead 19:33 05 Apr 06

It would be a huge improvement but have you checked that the motherboard in your computer will actually support the Athlon chip? If not you can't use it.

Stuartli 19:46 05 Apr 06

Are you sure it's an AMD CPU?

It's listed as a Celeron here:

click here

and an AMD here(!):

click here

although first link appears to be for the US and Canada markets.

Totally-braindead 19:49 05 Apr 06

click here this is the UK one as is this click here so I think Terry Brown is correct however I have been unable to find info on what processor the board will take, anyone else able to find it?

Stuartli 20:26 05 Apr 06

HP has used a lot of OEM boards:

click here

but the AMD specs for this series seem to be:

click here

Obviously knowing the mobo involved would help - perhaps Terry Brown could have a look at the board itself?

The 7920 is an HP model of around five years as the Duron 900 was released in April 2001.

Stuartli 20:27 05 Apr 06

The Athlon XP 1800+ was launched in late 2001 so it may well be accepted (perhaps with a Bios update)?

Stuartli 20:33 05 Apr 06

This may dampen hopes:

click here

and

click here

266MHz FSB.

Terry Brown 21:33 05 Apr 06

click here

Many thanks to all, for your input, I was confused because in articles about the processors, they seem to be the same, except one quotes Slot A and the other socket A.After quite a bit of searching I found this article which seems to say that the two are NOT compatable (Shame). Hope it will help others .
Many Thanks again
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…